Thread: Ubuntu Server 20.04 Installation Problems

Beans

Ubuntu Server 20.04 Installation Problems

I'm trying to install the 20.04 lts on a custom built computer that has an Athlon x4 750k processor, 10gb of ram (1 of 8gb and 1 of 2gb). I am using Rufus 3.14 to create a bootable drive out of the iso, and it's crashing either on the stage where I have to choose an archive mirror, or when it tries to scan for hard drives. I've installed the regular 20.04 version of ubuntu on the computer before with no issues
    If you have any suggestions, I'll be happy to take them

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ubuntu Server 20.04 Installation Problems

1.make sure image is good (md5sum or SHA hash check)
    2. use another "burn to USB" app (balena etcher for example or some other app to remove it as possible culprit)

-- is the install BIOS or UEFI ?

server installer is a bit different than desktop. i am not sure why there is a difference other than it being text only. but there are differences and sometimes they interfere with install.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu Server 20.04 Installation Problems

What is the motherboard so I can look up the specs on the storage controller, NIC's and other related hardware...

Right at the moment, the Desktop Edition and the Server Edition ISO's have completely different installers. Desktop has the older debian-installer and the new Live Installer on Server is ubiquity... But for 21.10, is supposed to be the same for both.

I know by experience, that if the new Live Installer starts crashing at random places in the install, like you are describing... check the md5sum to ensure you have a good image to install from. That is what that is leaning towards.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags