Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keyboard problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.10 Kinetic Kudu

Re: Keyboard problem

Well I've been an Ubuntu user since Gutsy Gibbon and that's not been my experience. I do a clean install every couple of years or so, usually when upgrading hardware. I have issues of course but solve them eventually often with the much appreciated help of these forums - all part of the learning experience. In recent years the upgrade experience has become more and more straightforward.

Having written that, I do automatic daily data backups to my NAS and have another couple of Ubuntu computers I can fall back on.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I generally have a dozen computers running at various places. One year, I decided to upgrade all of them instead of clean installs. 1 worked with no issues, 2 worked with minor issues, 9 didn't work and ended up being clean installs. I learned my lesson.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.10 Kinetic Kudu

If I was managing a dozen machines I would probably do as you do, stick to the LTS, download the iso once and upgrade the lot. It's a bit different for a reasonably tech-savvy single user. Anyway, the problem seems to have gone away so I am making the assumption that disabling Sticky Keys was the fix.

Thanks for your advice. I will mark this as solved and if it reappears I will repost in General Help.

Beans

May not be pertinent, but I have found odd keyboard issues with just some keys arbitrarily not responding after some time and other strange behaviour when using an NVidia graphics card on 20.04 and 21.04 at least when the default Nouveau driver is in use. Changing that using the Additional Drivers app to the proprietary NVidia driver cures the problem completely. Why this should be I do knot know, but there are threads mentioning this solution on the internet. I do admit that it is baffling to me how a video driver affects a keyboard driver, but it is demonstrably true. You could give that a go, and this would at least do no harm, Hippocrates principle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12