Thread: USB has no login screen on live persistence

Beans

USB has no login screen on live persistence

I am not ready to install on internal hd. I am runing it off the external drive, using persistent storage, ventoy, with other os install isos.

I am too green to know how to secure the os with a log in. I think I googled changing the blank default pw, but I want is to get a quick login screen with at least 1 or 2 keys for the password. Other wise, I don't feel safe logging into the gmail.
    ~~The Linux directory system is a messy desk of a genius-- ahh, /home at last!

~~Once a person gets used to anything, they become blind to it. Me, I'm seeing spots.

Beans

Re: USB has no login screen on live persistence

Having a user password has absolutely zero bearing on anything to do with Gmail.
    Are you using USB 3?if so, try USB 2. It may help

Beans

I never mentioned gmail. I did mention the danger of having browsers and other persistent information.

I just want a loginscreen for the usb 3 ubuntu. I don't see any way to get it. I boot and bang, no security.
    ~~The Linux directory system is a messy desk of a genius-- ahh, /home at last!

~~Once a person gets used to anything, they become blind to it. Me, I'm seeing spots.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by degarb View Post
    I never mentioned gmail. I did mention the danger of having browsers and other persistent information.

I just want a loginscreen for the usb 3 ubuntu. I don't see any way to get it. I boot and bang, no security.
    It would be secure without persistence. It stores nothing, so no sensitive info or malicious code either, you get a clean slate every time you reboot.

I am not being facetious, the USB + persistence setup is meant for testing and trouble shooting (say you need some tools to be installed in the rescue usb) It is not meant to be a substitute for a real installation. You can make a portable Ubuntu in a usb by installing in it, following all the steps like you install into the hard drive and have to format the USB in a Linux file system such as ex4. You will need two usbs, one is the live installer, the other the target to install. But I don't really recommend that since performance will be poor (maybe my usb drive was too small, others may have different experience)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If running in persistent mode you can go to Settings/Users and create a new user with password.
    You can set Ubuntu to ask for the password at boot.