Thread: Menu Bar Disabled?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Menu Bar Disabled?

Does Ubuntu 20.04 include a menu bar? How can I enable it and show under the windows title bar?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Menu Bar Disabled?

What doe you mean by "menu bar" and "windows title bar"?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

It is not clear what you are talking about, but if I take a guess I think you mean the top bar of some applications such as Document Viewer. Indeed 'gnome apps' have no menu, these are things that installed by default with the gnome desktop like the Document Viewer, totem (Video) and Rhythmbox (the gnome Music player) But that is only true for gnome apps (their "design vision") and maybe some odd exceptions like Firefox (which Mozilla hides it by default) But then IMO gnome apps are pretty forgettable anyway, there are many better alternatives you can install in Ubuntu (I as a rule remove Totem and Rhythmbox after every new install of Ubuntu, along with those games)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    What doe you mean by "menu bar" and "windows title bar"?
    I should've made the question more clear. i'm just not sure what they are refered to here at ubuntu.

I really need to find a thesaurus for Windows/Ubuntu words.

In Windows 7, the top of the windows is called a "title bar." It shows the name of the items inside the folder or the name of the document/text file you have open.

Also in Windows OS, the menu bar is hidden by default. The menu bar, when unhidden, appears across the top of the title bar. It contains clickable menu's name File, Edit, View, etc.

When a menu such as the File menu is clicked, a drop-down box appears with choices such as new document, open document, etc
    Last edited by wyattwhiteeagle; August 21st, 2021 at 08:03 AM.

Beans

i dont get it , the "menu and title bar",like you explain, shows by default
    title bar shows at top off all applications and the menu bar is just a right click away. just like windows.
    xubuntu 20.04.3 LTS (focal fossa)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by 3nd View Post
    i dont get it , the "menu and title bar",like you explain, shows by default
    title bar shows at top off all applications and the menu bar is just a right click away. just like windows.
    Not in most gnome applications where it is replaced with a hamburger (three horizontal lines) icon instead, or similar.

Gnome has made its gui too difficult for me, hence my use of Xubuntu with Xfce.

Beans

The menu bar availability is inconsistent. Gnome applications like Files (once called Nautilus) and Text Editor (once called Gedit) substitute several buttons (it varies how many) for the menu bar functionality. Gnome Terminal lacks buttons, but you can define a keyboard shortcut (in preferences) to reveal a traditional menu bar. Applications not created by Gnome developers like LibreOffice almost always have menu bars (and tool bars) by default. Firefox shows a menu bar with the Alt key if you need it.

(Ubuntu could offer Xed which is Text Editor with a menu bar (and tool bar) but for some reason they don't. Other Linux distros do.)

Beans

Not in most gnome applications where it is replaced with a hamburger (three horizontal lines) icon instead, or similar.
    ok ,didn't know that ,as i'm on xubuntu/xfce too.
    weird of gnome huh lol
    xubuntu 20.04.3 LTS (focal fossa)