Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu 20.04 on HP Chromebook SND_HDA_INTEL SOUND: NO SOUND DUMMY OUTPUT

Beans

Lubuntu 20.04 on HP Chromebook SND_HDA_INTEL SOUND: NO SOUND DUMMY OUTPUT

I have found this to be a common problem floating around forums and the web. I have tried a lot of the solutions provided and have had no luck.

Everything works perfectly fine with my set up. But there's no sound. And the output device is stuck on dummy output.

I'm relatively experienced with Linux but definitely have a lot to learn. Is there anyone that can help me with this? I have just completely reloaded the computer again to start with a clean slate in trying to resolve the issue.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Lubuntu 20.04 on HP Chromebook SND_HDA_INTEL SOUND: NO SOUND DUMMY OUTPUT

Have you looked at any of the documentation?

- https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TroubleShootingGuide

yes you're using Lubuntu and could look at their docs too, but they relate mostly to the Lubuntu/LXQt unique parts of the system, where sound is part of the Ubuntu base; thus Ubuntu documentation applies more here. At the bottom of that wiki you'll find the Sound troubleshooting page

- https://help.ubuntu.com/community/So...otingProcedure

It will provide ways to explore your system and gain details of your chipset.

Myself I usually just `sudo lshw -C sound` (ie. list-hardware of class sound) and you'll get clues as to status if something is recognized (by the linux kernel) or it has issues that need fixing. If nothing is recognized, the more detailed info in the SoundTroubleshootingProcedure will help more.

Beans

I haven't tried this but it seems on point https://gist.github.com/jeremy-breid...3a0ae57ed98e4a

Beans

Thank you for your respomse. I ran through the troubleshooting and the only one that I was unable to get to work was number 5

5. Do you have the sound modules installed?

Open a terminal and type

find /lib/modules/`uname -r` | grep sndYou should see a large list of items come up. If you don't, it means that the install process did not install the sound modules for you. To fix this, type in the terminal window:

sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r` linux-genericAfter installing the modules, you will need to reboot for the changes to take effect.
    If the modules are already installed, proceed to the next step to check to see whether your hardware is recognizing the sound card as installed.

The results of the commands was that it was unable to find the directory and the packages to install. All the other troubleshooting resulted in positive results but my sound still doesn't work =*(

Beans

None of this seems to have worked either. It updated some stuff. But still no sound. Still nothing but dummy output.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Have you seen the info here https://wiki.galliumos.org/Hardware_Compatibility

Just offering alternative suggestion - no direct experience

Beans

What method did you use to install Ubuntu? Linux on Chromebook (Crostini) or Crouton or Mr. Chromebox or ? And what version of Chrome OS are you running (if not Mr.Chrmbx)?

Beans

I used Mr. Chromebox. So there's no ChromeOS on the computer at all not. Which was my goal and I really love. The only issue I have is this sound issue.

Beans

So I have the KIP

HP Chromebook 11 G3/G4/G4 EE KIP 2015 Intel Bay Trail[9] Yes Required[2]

It says it works but it needs a firmware update. I ran through the firmware update process and it hasn't changed anything

=(

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zer03755 View Post
    So I have the KIP

HP Chromebook 11 G3/G4/G4 EE KIP 2015 Intel Bay Trail[9] Yes Required[2]

It says it works but it needs a firmware update. I ran through the firmware update process and it hasn't changed anything

=(
    What is "it" and what did you do to update the firmware?

Which BIOS did you originally install - Legacy or UFEI?

Please run

Code:
    sudo inxi -Ab
    in a terminal and post the output wrapped in code tags.
    Last edited by bobunderwood99; August 27th, 2021 at 03:37 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast