Thread: Problem with ssh and github (diagnostics work but push doesn't)

Beans

Problem with ssh and github (diagnostics work but push doesn't)

I have problems using ssh to conduct git operations on github and I'd be grateful if someone could suggest what I might be doing wrong.

Specifically I'm having problems doing a push to a newly created repository

It's worth mentioning that the key that I have uploaded to Github for use with my account has a non-standard name (I'll call it 'id_ed25519_ABCDEFGHI'), I mention this because a lot of directions assume that you have a default name.

Also when you see the email address 'foo@not_the_actual_domain_used.com' below that is the email address which Github associates with me.

In case it matters I have multiple keys in ~/.ssh and I have multiple keys uploaded to my Github account. All private key files have permissions of 600 , all public key files have permissions of 644 .

I have just created a new repos within the Github UI called 'my-test-repos' and I'm now attempting to push to it.

I go through the following sequence ...

Code:
    foo@bar:~/src/my-test-repo$ cat /home/foo/.ssh/id_ed25519_ABCDEFGHI.pub
    ssh-ed25519 AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA foo@not_the_actual_domain_used.com

foo@bar:~/src/my-test-repo$ ssh-add -l
    The agent has no identities.

foo@bar:~/src/my-test-repo$ ssh-add  /home/foo/.ssh/id_ed25519_ABCDEFGHI
    Identity added: /home/foo/.ssh/id_ed25519_ABCDEFGHI (foo@not_the_actual_domain_used.com)

foo@bar:~/src/my-test-repo$ ssh-add -l
    256 SHA256:BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB foo@not_the_actual_domain_used.com (ED25519)

foo@bar:~/src/my-test-repos$ git config --add --local core.sshCommand 'ssh -i /home/foo/.ssh/id_ed25519_ABCDEFGHI'

foo@bar:~/src/my-test-repo$ git push -u origin main
    Username for 'https://github.com':
    As you can see when I do a `git push` I get prompted for a username (and a password if I supply a username). I would like the authentication to be done with key exchange.

In the output shown above to the `ssh-add -l` command the 'BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB' matches what I see for one of the keys visible when I go to the settings of my github account.

If I do this (one of the standard suggested diagnostics) I get this successful exchange ...

Code:
    foo@bar:~/src/my-test-repo$ ssh -T git@github.com
    Hi my_github_username! You've successfully authenticated, but GitHub does not provide shell access.
    also

Code:
    foo@bar:~/src/my-test-repo$ ssh -i /home/foo/.ssh/id_ed25519_ABCDEFGHI -T git@github.com
    Hi my_github_username! You've successfully authenticated, but GitHub does not provide shell access.

I'd be grateful if anyone could suggest some other diagnostics I could try to analyse what the problem is with the `push` operation is .

Thanks.
    Last edited by southof40; August 20th, 2021 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Wrote 'pull' meant to write 'push' (I'm tired ;-)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Problem with ssh and github (diagnostics work but push doesn't)

Have you setup a ~/.ssh/config file with the identity file specified for the different git repos? Every ssh-using tool I know honors that file.

The manpage for it is ssh_config ... but if you put it in your ~/.ssh/ it will be used just for your system.

Also, ~/.ssh/ should be 700. But I'm guessing that permissions are fine if the ssh tests are working.

Do you have a copy of Pro Git? Should be a free PDF and should answer this question. I've only used it a few times - it had the answer and worked quickly. I don't use github (won't have an account on that service since the take-over), but with my own repos, different identity files work fine.

Beans

Thanks @TheFu , I won't have time to try this tonight but I just wanted to acknowledge your suggestion. I will try it soon and reply back to the thread. Thanks again.

Beans

OK the problem was indeed related to the ~/.ssh/config . Another issue I had was that the repos I was testing this against had been cloned via https and not ssh. Github no longer allows that to be used and just prompts for a uid/pwd when it encounters it. Anyway changing the remotes for that repository then allowed everything to work. Thanks very much for your suggestion.

Funny thing about 'Pro Git', I do indeed have a copy and it's sitting within arms length of my desk but I find increasingly I forget to look at books instead spending far too long searching the web. This isn't the first time I've failed to consult a book which might have been much more effective than lots of surfing.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by southof40; August 22nd, 2021 at 10:51 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have a PDF version of Pro Git in my Calibre library. I'll usually spend 3-5 minutes looking online and if that doesn't work, will flip through my library for answers. Obviously, I have to know which sort of references are in the library.

I do Ruby and Perl and C/C++. Lots of books on those at all levels for almost any problem.

Simple Linux Admin stuff is what my library has, which isn't often useful, since it is all 5-25 yrs old.

For ssh stuff, it is mostly learned experience, though I've thumbed through the O'Reilly book on ssh at book stores. The ssh_config and sshd_config file manpages are pretty clear, but if someone doesn't have any idea about the capabilities, that makes it hard to know. ssh is freakin' amazing. Too bad only Unix-people really understand the power. Same for rsync. Those two tools are the basis for so many other tools we use all the time.