Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Samsung Android phone can't connect Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Samsung Android phone can't connect Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Samsung have an uncanny knack of making users jump through some hurdles........?

There is a package called go-mtpfs with the description
    Code:
    Go-mtpfs is a simple FUSE filesystem for mounting Android devices as
    an MTP device.
    I've no idea if this what you need because, using the Android 10 version with my phone, I didn't have to install anything to connect to Ubuntu.

I would have a look at your phone manual and/or Android forums pertaining to Samsung devices.
    go-mtpfs already installed.

It is very strange to me. File transfer from both S9+ and S6 to/from Ubuntu 20.04 worked before without problem. I haven't used this function sometimes. Just discovered that it doesn't work, same USB cable.

Regards

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    I use an Android app names WiFi File Transfer which when started on the phone allows you to open a browser on the Linux machine, presumably any distro, and navigate to the IP shown in the phone app.
    It has worked faultlessly for me, particularly for photos, but I assume will work for other files, I've just never needed nor tried that.
    Install WiFi File Transfer on S9+ and start it

Enter the IP address on Firefox of Ubuntu 20.04. It is very strange the Album folder empty

Regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Look in the other folders, pictures, images and camera.
    I don't use albums so can't help with that.

Beans

Look in the other folders, pictures, images and camera.
    I don't use albums so can't help with that.
    Phone ->
    Code:
    302Gimbal
    amap
    Android
    andrprec
    DCIM
    DJI
    ZYPlay
    Under DCIM
    =======
    Code:
    Album_20200601
    DJI MIMO
    Screenshots
    ZYPlay
    Only these 4 folders. All of them are empty folders. It is very strange to me.

On Phone -> ZYPlay (another folder with same name)
    Code:
    album
    Camera
    -> album
    also an empty folder
    -> Camera
    also an empty folder

Regards

Beans

Hi ajgreeny,

I found out the trick. I need to capture new video. Then a new folder named "Camera" will be automatically created under DCIM and the new video will be saved in the new folder.

Start WiFi File Transfer on S9+ phone and browse the URL on Ubuntu 20.04. Then download the new video mp4 files on PC.

Where are those old video mp4 files? I can't find them on browser. But they are still on S9+ phone. I suppose needing to download them on a SIM card.

Regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have no idea where those files will be in the Android filesystem, I'm afraid, as the Android filesystem is a complete mystery to me, and I use it as a phone only, and almost never download any files except the occasional attachment in an email.

Beans

I have no idea where those files will be in the Android filesystem, I'm afraid, as the Android filesystem is a complete mystery to me, and I use it as a phone only, and almost never download any files except the occasional attachment in an email.
    I have been using Samsung Galaxy S6 and S9+ as camera, taking video and photos for prolonged time. All video and photos are stored on DCIM. I can download them to my PC without problem.

I just discovered that all video and photos taken in the past disappear. It is very strange to me. I found them on Photos NOT on Gallery on desktop but I have not idea to download them to my PC.

Beans
    Distro

++Wifi file transfer Pro
    Where are those old video mp4 files? I can't find them on browser. But they are still on S9+ phone. I suppose needing to download them on a SIM card.
    This is a pretty interesting thread. Can't recall ever using Wifi file transfer Pro (WFTP), but it's on my phone so I figured I would see what I could do with it.

Your jpg and mp4 files should be found under the WFTP File Browser tab in Current Directory: /storage/emulated/0/DCIM/Camera/
    Click the checkbox for the file you wish to save to your computer then click download.
    Important!! It should bring up a window with heading, 'Save File' - you need to remember which directory the file gets written to, or you can specify which directory it gets written to. I have mine going into Pictures/scratch. It may take a little while to transfer a video file depending on its size. The one I downloaded was 268 MB and it took a few seconds.

I found videos that I had forgotten about.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by him610 View Post
    ++Wifi file transfer Pro

This is a pretty interesting thread. Can't recall ever using Wifi file transfer Pro (WFTP), but it's on my phone so I figured I would see what I could do with it.

Your jpg and mp4 files should be found under the WFTP File Browser tab in Current Directory: /storage/emulated/0/DCIM/Camera/
    Click the checkbox for the file you wish to save to your computer then click download.
    Important!! It should bring up a window with heading, 'Save File' - you need to remember which directory the file gets written to, or you can specify which directory it gets written to. I have mine going into Pictures/scratch. It may take a little while to transfer a video file depending on its size. The one I downloaded was 268 MB and it took a few seconds.

I found videos that I had forgotten about.
    Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

It is very strange to me. I couldn't find "Storage" folder on browser

The recently taken video;
    -> DCIM -> Camera
    20210821_105537.mp4
    20210821_110456.mp4

-> Samsung
    400 Bad Request

I found all old video and photos are on "Google Photos" on my Samsung Galaxy S9+

I have no idea how to download them to PC. "Share" doesn't work because file size exceeding the limit allowed.

Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi
    May I suggest the GSConnect Gnome Shell extension and Android app?

"GSConnect is a complete implementation of KDE Connect especially for GNOME Shell with Nautilus, Chrome and Firefox integration. It does not rely on the KDE Connect desktop application and will not work with it installed.

KDE Connect allows devices to securely share content like notifications or files and other features like SMS messaging and remote control. The KDE Connect team has applications for Linux, BSD, Android, Sailfish and Windows."

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1319/gsconnect/
    Last edited by Paulgirardin; August 31st, 2021 at 02:36 AM.
    Ubuntu 21.10

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12