Thread: Ubuntu's version of Gnome 40

Beans

Ubuntu's version of Gnome 40

To me, it is actually perverse for Ubuntu to say they are using Gnome when they don't center the application icons. Sure you can put them at the bottom but how much would it take for the developers to acknowledge the efforts of the Gnome programmers. Give me a break. I hope they change but it appears unlikely. Perhaps somebody clever can make a hack.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu's version of Gnome 40

I agree !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Not a support thread

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Beans
    Distro

To have the application icons bottom centered you can just disable ubuntu dock.

Beans
    Distro

If you are using Ubuntu 21.04 Gnome is 3.38. If you are using Ubuntu 21.10 Gnome 40.2 is part of the Ubuntu Development series and GTK is not yet fully supporting Gnome 40.
    Bottom line is Gnome 40 is a development version. Also libhandy and adwaita are independently developed by Gnome and then shipped as part of GTK. It doesn't matter if the GTK is 2,3, or 4 the Gnome display support is whatever Gnome has deployed. This in itself is a greater oddity than the fact that the dock is messed up, but it is Gnome not Ubuntu that is in charge of the matter. Ubuntu 21.10 is still in development and I use it every day as my only installed OS on three computers and everyone here is OK happy with what they have to use. But there are problems.

PS. Since Gnome 40 is a part of 21.10 I think the thread was properly started in the Development section since they are both in development and we don't really know who the problem belongs, probably both. It seems to me that when I was using the PPA version of Gnome 40 with 21.04 the bottom dock was centered.
    Last edited by zebra2; August 20th, 2021 at 10:33 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I would hate having the dock centred on the bottom of the screen. The first two posts in this thread are expressions of opinions. I also have opinions.

Is it not time that Gnome.org took responsibility for a Gnome.org distribution of Linux and stopped forcing their opinions of what a desktop user interface should look like on the users of another distributions?

Ubuntu developers have no responsibility towards the Gnome developers because the Gnome developers care little about views of other developers.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

I agree with Graham that Ubuntu has no obligation to honour gnome devs' aesthetics. The idea of open source is that you take projects from upstream and modify it for your need. If OP wants a faithful implementation of gnome I suggest using vanilla Fedora without any extension or user theme.

I think it is particularly ironic for gnome because its devs are notorious for their, high handed, our way or the highway attitude regarding downstream and user feedback. Just check out the won'tfixes and the dismissive comments on their mailing list .

Edited: As said if you want the dock at the bottom just disable the Ubuntu dock extension. There is no need for any "clever hack".
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; August 20th, 2021 at 06:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For me Ubuntu's Gnome 40 implementation is superior to the original. I can start my favorite programs with one click. In the original I always have to do 2 or 3 actions before I can start my favorite program.