Thread: Drivers for Dell Monitor and Radeon Graphics card

Beans

Drivers for Dell Monitor and Radeon Graphics card

I have installed 21.04 and I am looking for the Drivers for my Display and Graphics card.

Display: Dell SE198WFPv
    Graphics: Radeon X1300/X1550

1) Do I search for Linux driver at Vendor website ?
    2) IF it is there and I download, what are the instructions to install ?
    3) Is there a Linux community website where I could search for these Drivers ?

My Display says "Unknown". I guess I am running a default driver of some sort. My Graphics card current driver works but would be nice to use the correct one.

Tks
    Syed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Post Re: Drivers for Dell Monitor and Radeon Graphics card

[Your system packs an ATi Technologies RV530 GPU; the X.org radeon driver (package: xserver-xorg-video-radeon, should be in ubuntu Main Repository) would be correct. The X.org Radeon driver should be compatible with your Dell display.
    Last edited by QIII; August 19th, 2021 at 05:07 AM.
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Drivers for Dell Monitor and Radeon Graphics card

By way of further explanation ...

ATI was purchased by AMD in about 2008. Your ATI is, for all intents and purposes, AMD.

The moniter is showing as "unknown" because if it is old, it is not returning EDID information the the OS, which, therefore, cannot identify it specifically by OEM, model or any capabilities.

With AMD graphics, there are only two driver modules: the open-source radeon and open-source amdgpu (onto which the proprietary AMDGPU_PRO may be added.) Both drivers are modules already baked into the Linux kernel. At install time, Ubuntu's installer determines which module supports your GPU (in this case the radeon module) and activates it. There is no need for you to do anything further.
    Last edited by QIII; August 19th, 2021 at 05:13 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcschmerker View Post
    [Your system packs an ATi Technologies RV530 GPU; the X.org radeon driver (package: xserver-xorg-video-radeon, should be in ubuntu Main Repository) would be correct. The X.org Radeon driver should be compatible with your Dell display.
    Thanks for the response. Really appreciate it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    By way of further explanation ...

ATI was purchased by AMD in about 2008. Your ATI is, for all intents and purposes, AMD.

The moniter is showing as "unknown" because if it is old, it is not returning EDID information the the OS, which, therefore, cannot identify it specifically by OEM, model or any capabilities.

With AMD graphics, there are only two driver modules: the open-source radeon and open-source amdgpu (onto which the proprietary AMDGPU_PRO may be added.) Both drivers are modules already baked into the Linux kernel. At install time, Ubuntu's installer determines which module supports your GPU (in this case the radeon module) and activates it. There is no need for you to do anything further.
    Thanks for the detailed response. This issue can be closed. Thanks !