Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual boot nOOb questions - Lubuntu 20.04

Beans

Re: Dual boot nOOb questions - Lubuntu 20.04

Should also add that w10 boots in legacy mode, so I'm in familiar (MBR dual boot) territory

Beans

With an expresscard slot, you can even hang a desktop GPU off an adapter, see the egpu.io site. Worked great for my old Lenovo W520.

Beans

Similar era machine the Lenovo W520 - I'll have to do some research on that site to see what's viable (and cheap)

Beans

Here's my advice.

BEFORE installing Ubunu and Windows 10, go into your bios and enable EFI. Make sure you use GPT partition tables (likely automatic). You should get a boot manager capable of booting either ubuntu or windows10 by menu selection if you do that. The reason for GPT is for easier better booting. easier dual-boot (ie, win10 hogs 3 partitions), and so each installer can have their OWN EFI boot partion area (yes, two boot loaders, let them each thing they are the one and only).

Newer PC have BIOS BUILT-IN EFI BOOT MENU - you don't use grub or any boot loader. You just pick which one you want in the bios as default or DEL to get a menu. Grub not required perhaps not desired.

Beans

Thanks, assuming I have UFEI in my bios (I don't recall that) W10 is already installed, is the risk of conversion to GPT worth it?
    Last edited by steve234; August 27th, 2021 at 12:03 PM.

Beans

is the risk of conversion to GPT worth it?
    There are quite a number of sites that explain this process. I"m not a windows user, so I would suggest that you do an online search for "converting drive to GPT in windows without data loss", make sure you include the without data loss part. Depends upon your familiarity with windows. If you don't see any reference to UEFI/EFI in your BIOS, I wouldn't make the change.

If you have a GPT partition, windows won't boot from it unless it is an EFI install.
    Last edited by yancek; August 27th, 2021 at 02:06 PM.

Beans

Thanks guys, so my bios supports UFEI and its enabled

I converted the drive to GPT using Win10s MBR2GPT.exe and ended up with a non-bootable system.

I'm currently booting to LUbubtu live so I can restore (dd) my (MBR-using) boot disk from backup.

I think I'll stick with legacy on this machine

Beans

Thanks again for all your help, got up and running easily using legacy / mbr. Went for Arch as OS in the end, too many papercuts now Lububtu has gone qt.

Marked solved

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12