can't kill pcmanfm

Code:
    #kill PID
    does not work.

(PID is number which
    Code:
    ps aux | grep pcman
    returns).

Is there please other way than restart of Ubuntu 20.04 ?
    Last edited by maketopsite; August 18th, 2021 at 02:23 PM. Reason: grammar

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: can't kill pcmanfm

What's that # at the start of your command? Do you mean you type the command at a root prompt (no need for that if running pcmanfm as your normal user) or did you actually type it at the command line (that would turn it into a comment)?

I don't really know pcmanfm. kill by default sends SIGTERM, the termination signal, which pcmanfm can ignore or handle in some other way than terminating, but normally an application should handle it with clean termination. Or your system could be configured to restart pcmanfm whenever it gets closed, but then the PID will change.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    What's that # at the start of your command? Do you mean you type the command at a root prompt (no need for that if running pcmanfm as your normal user) or did you actually type it at the command line (that would turn it into a comment)?

I don't really know pcmanfm. kill by default sends SIGTERM, the termination signal, which pcmanfm can ignore or handle in some other way than terminating, but normally an application should handle it with clean termination. Or your system could be configured to restart pcmanfm whenever it gets closed, but then the PID will change.
    I typed the command at a root prompt (and at user prompt too).

PID is always the same.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Why are you trying to kill pcmanfm? What specific steps/circumstances led to this situation where you want to kill it?
    Xubuntu 20.04/Pop!_OS 21.04/System76 hardware ♦ Debian 10/Xubuntu/VirtualBox
    If your questions are resolved to your satisfaction, please use Thread Tools > "Mark this thread as solved..."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by halogen2 View Post
    Why are you trying to kill pcmanfm? What specific steps/circumstances led to this situation where you want to kill it?
    It's unresponsive. I can't launch another instance of it. Probably OOM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The kill command send the process a signal. There are lots and lots of different signals. -15 is the default (sigterm). -9 is the nasty "kill it no matter what", sigterm.
    To see all the signals on your system, start in this file: /usr/include/signal.h and follow the #includes until you get to the list. For me, that led to /usr/include/asm-generic/signal.h.
    I'm seeing 31 signals available.

So ... try kill -9 {PID}
    That can create a zombie process - meaning it isn't running, not using any resources, but it is still in the process table. I think top will actually label is "zombie".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    The kill command send the process a signal. There are lots and lots of different signals. -15 is the default (sigterm). -9 is the nasty "kill it no matter what", sigterm.
    To see all the signals on your system, start in this file: /usr/include/signal.h and follow the #includes until you get to the list. For me, that led to /usr/include/asm-generic/signal.h.
    I'm seeing 31 signals available.

So ... try kill -9 {PID}
    That can create a zombie process - meaning it isn't running, not using any resources, but it is still in the process table. I think top will actually label is "zombie".
    Thank you, this has solved the problem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by maketopsite View Post
    Thank you, this has solved the problem.
    Beware that using -9 does nasty things to running processes. I might use it 3 times a year.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Beware that using -9 does nasty things to running processes. I might use it 3 times a year.
    Wel thank you. Do you mean "to other processes" than killed process itself ?

Beans

No, he means it can't be ignored. SIGKILL ends a process. Period. If the process was writing or changing a file, that file will in all probability be damaged beyond repair. If that process was a game running in a lower resolution graphics mode, it won't reset the screen to the normal desktop resolution. If it was reconfiguring some hardware (think about avrdude or something similar ...), that hardware will be stuck in a half-configured state.

Holger