Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't start ubuntu after update

Beans

Can't start ubuntu after update

Hi, I am having a similar issue here.

I am running Ubuntu 20.04 on an Acer Predator computer, using an Nvidia graphics card (the computer also has an Intel graphics card, but the "nvidia-settings" utility makes sure I always use the Nvidia GPU. This has been working perfectly for a couple years now.

Yesterday I installed updates prompted by Ubuntu (i.e. equivalent to apt-get update) and on reboot the computer stays stuck on the "Predator" logo, before grub appears. I don't know what to do since I can't choose boot options, since I don't reach the grub menu.

Any help greatly appreciated, of course I'm happy to give more details if needed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Can't start ubuntu after update

Post moved to its own thread.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Update:

From some googling, I found some people experiencing a similar issue due to the new 5.11 kernel. https://askubuntu.com/questions/1356...-drivers-kerne

Most answers recommended to boot using the older kernel (5.8) but I don't know how to do that when I don't have access to grub (boot freezes before it gets there). I tried pressing escape or f12, but it didn't do anything. Does somebody know how I can get out of this?

Beans

Same problem with another Acer laptop and ubuntu 20.04. (UEFI) Grub reinstall did not help. Raising boot menu is necessary to start ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by danielth2 View Post
    Hi, I am having a similar issue here.

I am running Ubuntu 20.04 on an Acer Predator computer, using an Nvidia graphics card (the computer also has an Intel graphics card, but the "nvidia-settings" utility makes sure I always use the Nvidia GPU. This has been working perfectly for a couple years now.

Yesterday I installed updates prompted by Ubuntu (i.e. equivalent to apt-get update) and on reboot the computer stays stuck on the "Predator" logo, before grub appears. I don't know what to do since I can't choose boot options, since I don't reach the grub menu.

Any help greatly appreciated, of course I'm happy to give more details if needed.
    Did you try power off, remove battery, then press Power off / on button and hold for few seconds ?

Beans

Hi, thanks for your reply. No I've not tried removing the battery; would that produce a "more complete" reboot? Have you tried it yourself?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by danielth2 View Post
    Hi, thanks for your reply. No I've not tried removing the battery; would that produce a "more complete" reboot? Have you tried it yourself?
    Hi, you are welcome. It is proven it can solve some similar problems. I was not able to try it so far in this case.

Beans

Hi, my issue finally got resolved more easily than I thought.

In the end, I managed to bring up GRUB by repeatedly pressing "Shift" during boot (before and during splash screen). From there I simply booted Ubuntu as normal, and everything was working. Then I rebooted, and GRUB showed again normally, without needing to press Shift or anything. So I'm really not sure what happened, but it seems to have fixed itself?

And for the record, it seems I was too quick to blame the 5.11 kernel, as a check now shows that I'm running the 5.4 kernel (with Ubuntu 20.04.2).

Beans

Re-update, somehow it seems like I simply got into an unstable state.

When starting the computer, either:
    - The boot happens normally with no input on my part
    - The boot stays stuck on the splash screen and I have to force-shut the computer
    - I need to press shift repeatedly at start to make GRUB appear, after which I can normally boot into Ubuntu (and everything works fine)

So I normally manage to get through, but it can take a couple attempts before something works. I would be grateful if anyone has ideas on how to troubleshoot this intermittent issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If you have to press Shift to reach Grub, it implies that you have installed Ubuntu 20.04 in Legacy mode?

Can you open a terminal and post the output from:-
    Code:
    [ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "UEFI mode" || echo "Legacy mode"
    How old is your device?
    Are you dual-booting with Windows 10?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast