Thread: Ne- well "new"'s maybe not the right term (The blind man who runs in the forest)

Beans

Ne- well "new"'s maybe not the right term (The blind man who runs in the forest)

I have a desktop, Laptop and my PC, the later of which I am trying to open up I believe a partition of Ubuntu. You see I have a problem with over confidence, I often jump in and just try to figure things out. This desire comes from both a concern for privacy & a general distaine for Microsoft, anyways, I used "Rufus 3.15" to put "Unbuntu 21.04 amd 64" on a flash drive, set my boot priority to the drive and I keep getting this screen (I was going to post a screenshot but I'm going to try something first - let's leave it as not the correct screen). I then went about downloading "MobaLiveCD v2.1" which seems to indicate it is not properly installed. I have done this process 3 time, once with torrent download, once with a direct, once after I reformatted my computer, (though come to think of it I used the same - I guess corrupted copy). Anyways so new user isn't really accurate but hopefully I will be soon. If someone could direct me to the correct forum to post in detail or a thread that covers the issue I'm having that would be wonderful. Note I did try a cursory attempt with the forums search bar, though I will try again later, I'm sure everyone has better things to do than help the blind villager who keeps sprinting into the woods. Cheers.
    Peace & Love
    -notmak

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ne- well "new"'s maybe not the right term (The blind man who runs in the forest)

This is the right place for people who attempt their first Ubuntu install.

Direct downloads are sometimes corrupt, although that rarely happens if you've a reliable connection. Torrent downloads are checked during download, so they are never corrupt (unless you hard drive is broken, which can corrupt anything). Have you downloaded the .iso from the official site, ubuntu.com? Then it should be right.

Ubuntu 21.04 will only be supported until January 2022, so you'll have to upgrade to 21.10 before then. We usually recommend new users to stick to the LTS releases, which get 5 years of support and are released in April in even years. The current LTS release is 20.04.

Maybe these links are helpful:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick
    https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-...ows#1-overview
    Last edited by Impavidus; August 21st, 2021 at 09:18 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Ne- well "new"'s maybe not the right term (The blind man who runs in the forest)

also sometimes these "USB image " makers sometimes do not work with latest version or are not well maintained. I used to use unetbootin and yumi and they both served me well but for osme reaosn ihad issues with some versions, so i moved to linuxliveUSB which also worked very well for quite some time. and then it started having issues as well as various boot procedures changed (Grub, secure boot, UEFI, Systemd...).

lately i have used Balena Etcher, which works really well at the moment.

wish i saw you screen. maybe i saw the same error once before.

my current procedure is download via torrent & use Balena Etcher to burn on USB. Also i moved to Kubuntu in 2011 (which is Ubuntu with KDE desktop).
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I do not understand the problem you want help with. Ubuntu.com will give you a link from which we can download Ubuntu 20.04 from; A guide to creating a DVD or USB stick that will run a Ubuntu live session if your are using Ubuntu, MacOS or Windows, An installation guide for Ubuntu desktop and instructions about trying Ubuntu before we install.

https://ubuntu.com/#download

I can understand how you are bruised and battered after running ahead blindly into a forest. Please be specific as to the problem. Please give details of the hardware. At the top of this "New to Ubuntu" section of the forum there is a thread that is stuck to this page. It contains suggestions on how to get support questions answered as quickly as possible.

Ubuntu developers have worked for a long time to create pathways through what could be likened to the "forest undergrowth" of installing and using Linux. I give Ubuntu developers credit for doing a good job.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Wink Re: Ne- well "new"'s maybe not the right term (The blind man who runs in the forest)

Hey thanks for the quick & kind responses everyone, I have been trying to work it out. I may have something wrong internall, I tried to download Parrot and the file has stopped downloaded twice at 1 gig of 4. I will post a more detailed post once I have a better understanding of what is happening set up with screenshots & more detailed information. I wasn't expecting any help at all with the information I provided, was just trying to intro to the community & attempt to turn my ineptitude into a laugh for someone. Cheers, appreciate ya - As I finished this another Parot download canceled while I try to write this Not sure if this is parinoia but makes a writer working on some works, both fiction & non- critical of authoritarian orgnanizations.

- I can't help but peek out the blinds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

What browser are you using to download those files? If you want, you can try downloading the torrent file and see if it fails as well.

They can be found here:
    https://download.parrot.sh/parrot/iso/4.11.2/
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...