Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very Slow Boot

Beans

Very Slow Boot

I have a machine and it takes it a very long time to boot up. The last time I started pushing buttons and, finally, got to see what was going on. It paused, for a very long time, on something like; "no keyboard found". This system plays back videos. For the display and the sound it goes through a denon receiver. I have never had a problem like this before but I suspect the denon. My keyboard is wireless and works fine and is there all the time though and that should be enough. This has been working for a very long time so I can't figure out why its behaving poorly now. This started after I updated to 21.04

Thoughts?
    Memory: 16gb
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2600 CPU
    Graphics: NVC1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Very Slow Boot

Your system is very similar to mine.
    Maybe this something has something to do with the recent update and issues re NVIDIA graphics?

Try
    systemd-analyze blame
    to see what's holding things up.

Beans

thanks for the reply. Here it is:
    Code:
    greg@movies:~$  systemd-analyze blame 
    3min 11.915s apt-daily-upgrade.service
         30.489s plymouth-quit-wait.service
         18.634s man-db.service
         16.783s snapd.service
         10.000s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
          9.482s networkd-dispatcher.service
          9.268s dev-sdb3.device
          7.375s udisks2.service
          5.227s logrotate.service
          4.677s dev-loop2.device
          4.668s dev-loop0.device
          4.660s dev-loop4.device
          4.628s dev-loop1.device
          4.597s dev-loop3.device
          4.585s dev-loop6.device
          4.509s dev-loop5.device
          4.480s dev-loop8.device
          4.469s dev-loop9.device
          4.425s dev-loop10.device
          4.360s dev-loop11.device
          4.336s dev-loop12.device
          4.232s dev-loop15.device
          4.158s dev-loop13.device
    lines 1-23

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    And are you using snaps?
    I uninstall all snaps & only use .deb versions.
    Thanks for this advise oldfred. I also use this trick long time ago and it helps my system to boot faster.
    It was amazing. It works for my system very well. I suggest that you follow this advise
    and explore all the links that is oldfred is given you. It will help you a lot jgw. I assure you
    you won't regret it. Good Luck and Enjoy.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread

Beans

Oldfred,

Thanks for the reply.

I think I found the problem. That system is used to play movies and tv with Kodi. I have an hdmi connection from the machine to a Denon Receiver which handles my video and audio. The video part is gotten pretty strange (have a request to denon for that). Anyway, I hooked the machine all up and then removed the connection to the denon and it took about 2/3 minutes to boot up. After it was up I plugged in the denon. I am starting to think I might be better off to hook it up directly along with the audio which I haven't trued yet but will today.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Do not to use non-LTS releases unless absolutely mandatory. Using non-LTS releases is asking for problems.

I usually wait a few months after the LTS before I start playing with it and wait a year before installing it into production. For a media center, if I don't want to sleep on the couch, I'll make 100% certain it runs perfect, always, for years. My better half will put up with a few days over 2-4 yrs with issues, but that's about it. Happy wife. Happy life.

Avoiding issues is my first goal. Sometimes we can't avoid them. ;(

As for troubleshooting. If you think it is the keyboard, swap in a different keyboard. Use a wired one. That solve it? If so, then you have the answer. If not, you can move on to other stuff.
    Last edited by TheFu; August 19th, 2021 at 03:32 PM. Reason: s/ever/over/ & s/That that/That/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Do not to use non-LTS releases unless absolutely mandatory. Using non-LTS releases is asking for problems.
    I absolutely agree with TheFu. non-LTS release (non-Long Term Support) will only make you trouble specially when you are a first timer user of Ubuntu Linux
    Operating System. Definitely you will encounter more difficulty when using this non-LTS (non-Long Term Support) release in the long run.
    So, That is why the Ubuntu community forum will only advise the LTS (Long Term Support) release Ubuntu Operating System for very Safe use for a new-user.
    I think non-LTS release (non-Long Term Support) are for Quality Testing purposes only for the Ubuntu Linux expert users only.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread

Beans

Thank you for the replies!

Everything is now working and the boot is a lot faster. I just started going down the suggestions, one after another and that seemed to do the job. Oh, I didn't upgrade with a non-LTS, I waited.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by jgw View Post
    Thank you for the replies!

Everything is now working and the boot is a lot faster. I just started going down the suggestions, one after another and that seemed to do the job. Oh, I didn't upgrade with a non-LTS, I waited.
    So did you reinstall 20.04, or what do you mean by the comment that you waited; waited for what?

If you are still using 21.04 you will have to upgrade to 21.10 eventually prior to the release of 22.04 next April or you will have an unsupported version running; very insecure and risky!
    This is precisely why most users stick with the LTS versions as our daily system; these have support for either 5 or 3 years depending on which of the Buntu family OSs you use. If you do choose to use the intermediate versions, the non-LTS ones, you have to keep upgrading every 6 months, more or less, to keep using a supported version.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast