Thread: Giving up, or trying to

Beans

Giving up, or trying to

Hi-
    I'm a Windows refugee trying to find a home in Linux, and, sadly, giving up. I tried 5? (ubuntu-based) distros via Live/USB. They were all unusable, tho Deepin sure looked pretty.
    Worst of all, the USB process (Rufus etc.) barred access to my data disks (my hard drives) and blocked my ability to reboot back into Windows. Now i'm looking at $75 for a repair
    tech to undo the damage, sob.
    I don't blame Linux- it takes a mountain of money to simplify an OS even to the mediocre level of usability that greedy corporations settle for and brag about. And that Linux coders can't hope to attain
    (and many deny is even desirable!). But i have to cut my losses so i'm chickening out.
    Does anybody know a SIMPLE process or utility (accessible from Deepin, WindowsFX or grub) that'll restore my Windows access?
    Sadder but wiser in Vancouver,
    Infinice

Why are computers like hemorrhoids? When you sit down the pain returns.

Beans

Re: Giving up, or trying to

If you need your data, why not use your backups? If data is important to you then you have backups..... Right?

Beans

If you want Windows access then I suggest you post on a Windows forum. We don't know the issue with the Windows OS so can't really advise. If it simply doesn't boot then a Windows CD/USB stick can help restore the Windows boot loader

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Trying a live Linux session (without installing) would not prevent future access to your Windows data?
    Did you start the installation process?
    Is Windows hibernation or encryption involved?
    Windows version?

Boot into Windows via the Windows Boot Manager in the UEFI one-time boot menu.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Just trying a live session doesn't block access to Windows. There may be something basic your misunderstood or you may have followed some outdated guide. Maybe you fiddled with UEFI versus legacy mode? Restore to what mode it was before your experiments. Other than that, this is a Windows issue that may require Windows repair tools.

Linux does require some more technical skills than Windows. That's unavoidable if you want to give the user control. Still, there are tens of millions of happy Linux users on desktops and laptops (not to mention web servers, e-readers, car navigation devices, washing machines, weather forecasting supercomputers, traffic light controllers, ...), who all think that usability is excellent. If you still want to experiment with Linux, find a spare computer somewhere and experiment on that. Don't touch your current workhorse. A retired 8-year-old laptop gathering dust on a shelf will be fine. I'm currently on a 10-year-old computer and apart from the somewhat sluggish booting, it still feels like when it was new.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    Just trying a live session doesn't block access to Windows.
    Indeed.

@infinicee, unless you tried to install Deepin, or any other distro, just running the live session does not "bar access to your data", or block rebooting of Windows. Installing a Linux distro does not do either of those either unless you do something wrong. In the circumstances I have moved this thread to the Windows sub-forum since, from the information you have given, this appears to be solely a Windows problem.

If, by chance, you recall something that you did in the Deepin live session that might explain your problems and you wish to get help with that, and since Deepin is not based on Ubuntu, you might be better off posting to the Deepin forum. Of course, you would need to be proficient in Chinese to do that which, regrettably, I am not.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Linux isn't for everyone just like Windows isn't for everyone.

Installing Linux can be non-trivial, but so can installation of Windows. 99% of Windows users don't know how to install an OS and have never done it. Perhaps having someone install Linux for you would be a viable option?

If you are really new to Unix-like OSes, having someone guide you for the first install is a good idea. LUGs - Linux Users Groups - have been doing "InstallFests" since the early 1990s. I'd suggest that you seek out a local LUG and see if someone there isn't willing to help. My LUG used to have Installfests at the local University each semester to help anyone (not just students) get Linux installed. After a few years, there was enough knowledge at the University that they didn't need outside help from our LUG volunteers. Typically, we'd help 50-100 people that day.

I do recall 1 system that we were unable to get get installed. It was extremely new and the hardware just wasn't supported. Also, some hardware is popular, but extremely specific. Apple stuff falls into that group. Special knowledge is needed to be successful. I understand Linux runs really well on Apple hardware - at least on the x86-64 hardware. I've seen lots of Appl M1 CPU updates for Linux the last few days, so the newer Apple systems will probably be well supported in 6-12 months.

Use the OS that helps you do what you need. That OS doesn't have to be Linux.