Thread: Setting up btrfs

Beans

Setting up btrfs

I wonder what is the correct way to install Ubuntu with btrfs. It seems very simple, just clicking a few boxes during install. But does it work? I read tutorials on Debian and Kali-Linux they are all kind of complicated involving interrupting the installer and dropping into busybox, mounting and unmounting some volumes, creating directories and editing /etc/fstab anb so on. It seems too easy in Ubuntu. Are there any extra steps?

Thanks
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; August 16th, 2021 at 06:02 PM.

Beans

Re: Setting up btrfs

Just use the manual partitioning and set btrfs as you need
    https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu.../ubuntu-btrfs/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    Just use the manual partitioning and set btrfs as you need
    https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu.../ubuntu-btrfs/
    Yes, I know that. My question is whether there are extra steps involved since it seems very simple comparing to tutorials from other distros. For example, you can choose your file system the same way in Debian but that is not enough, you still have to drop into busybox and do a lot of other things to get it to work, see video here.

Having read a lot of these how to tutorials online it is my experience that a lot of very simple ones appear to be cut and paste where the writers haven't even tried them out themselves.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Yes it's that simple. Except that when I did it, I didn't delete all the other partitions because there were things I wanted to keep. Just select the partition you want to install on, set the type as btrfs and mount point as /. It will automatically make separate subvolumes for / and /home, called @ and @home, so no need to set up a separate home partition.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    Yes it's that simple. Except that when I did it, I didn't delete all the other partitions because there were things I wanted to keep. Just select the partition you want to install on, set the type as btrfs and mount point as /. It will automatically make separate subvolumes for / and /home, called @ and @home, so no need to set up a separate home partition.
    Hey indeed it is that simple in Ubuntu! Just tried to make and restore some snapshots and it work!. Wow! It is quite a lot of work to set it up in Debian (see the video I linked to) and I tried it it didn't even work (something has changed so Debian 11 doesn't look exactly like debian 10 as in the video and I improvised at some point and screwed it up. ) Archwiki is even more complicated! I will learn the details when I have the time but right now I just want to see it works to see if it is worth spending time on it, and Ubuntu give me an easy way to test it out!

Beans

Why would it not be that simple?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I really know little about BTRFS (I've used opensuse for years as it's default, but I really only learnt some things to avoid) however can happily install Lubuntu using XFS & BTRFS using nothing more than selecting them as the file-system on the installer (`calamares` so a different install to most other Ubuntu and flavors).

I did a QA-test install with XFS today; but will likely do the BTRFS tomorrow (it's now the oldest on our focal.3 checklist)

It depends to an extent on what features you want to use. Yes I've had installs that have failed, or subsequent failures (eg. install alongside after a BTRFS install) where BTRFS or XFS are involved (as complications do exist in a number of ways), but simple BTRFS installs are actually easy. Subsequent taking advantage of the additional features can be more involved...

FYI: Next day update: BTRFS install easily done, manual partitioning, select the "/" partition that was XFS, switch to 'format' then select BTRFS, select "/home" but no format & install.. The issue with subsequent installs is `update-grub` doesn't easily follow the BTRFS path and the install doesn't appear in `grub` (which means the QA-test install needs to be failed; as it needs a manual fix). My next install (after the current one) will be a full-disk install over the BTRFS so I don't forget about the unusual formatting on that testbox.
    Last edited by guiverc; August 18th, 2021 at 01:24 AM. Reason: next day & btrfs installed completed