Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem (Grub ?) installing Ubuntu Studio as 3rd OS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Problem (Grub ?) installing Ubuntu Studio as 3rd OS

with gpt partitioning which is required for Windows in UEFI boot mode, there are no logical partitions.
    I hope that choosing logical would not convert drive to old MBR configuration as that would break Windows.

For install of boot loader you always choose a drive like sda, not a partition like sda2. Or if NVMe you still choose the nmve0n1.
    And with UEFI, it really does not matter as the selection does not work. It just defaults to installing grub to first drive's ESP - efi system partition.

Issue seems to be with low-latency kernel & grub used with that install.
    Not familiar with Ubuntu Studio.

Have you tried with the newest version? 21.04
    We do normally suggest the LTS and I see you seem to want the same version as your regular Ubuntu. But it may be worth the experiment to see it another version works.
    Last edited by oldfred; August 15th, 2021 at 09:29 PM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Actually I do not mind having a different version of Ubuntu Studio vs Ubuntu, the thing is though that I've read several complaints about the latest version and some people who seem to have expertise advising against it. That being said, this is going to be my next try I think. Or perhaps 20.10...

Beans

Ok, problem solved. It seems that, for my Dell Inspiron, Ubuntu Studio 20.04 installation does not work well. I just tried 20.10 and it all went smoothly. Thank you both so much for helping out / giving me some advice. I can't say I understood everything going on under the hood but you both definitely helped me understand a bit more about the process

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12