Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is using up my hard drive space?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What is using up my hard drive space?

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    TheFu: I have used Xubuntu almost from the start, but I may have to look into something else finally. I love this Stream because of its size and verified that I can run it for over 8 hours on battery!

Thanks to all of you!
    I had an Asus Eee for a few years. It was my first very small laptop. It got me addicted to smaller, capable, systems. The search is always on when it is time for a new laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    I had an Asus Eee for a few years. It was my first very small laptop. It got me addicted to smaller, capable, systems. The search is always on when it is time for a new laptop.
    I had an EEEPC also: 9" screen. I absolutely loved that machine. Was quite sad when it died. Most every machine that i have or have had have been throw-aways. I have rescued them with Linux and a few parts. I give them away to folks that can't afford to buy one new. 5 or 10 year old equipment with Xubuntu gives them email and internet capability. It is amazing what some throw away just because Windows has become so slow that it is unusable.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Every machine that I've given away ended up being trashed by that person within a few months, so I stopped and make them pay a token amount now.
    People paying $25-$50 for a machine will treat it very different than if it is given. Have a few C2D that I've retired (MB+CPU+RAM+Cooler) that need new homes. Replace them with much faster, newer, lower-power-using, systems. One of those replacement systems has actually saved more than the extra electricity cost were with the older system over 2 yrs. These aren't laptops.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The people that I give them to really have nothing and are quite appreciative to get them and end up taking care of them. A few of them have had them so long that I have actually replaced them with a "newer" machine than what they were using. The last one that I replaced had originally been running Windows Vista as per the sticker still on the case! 512K memory! I didn't even salvage anything from it: just pulled the HD and stuck it in a newer machine and gave it back. They were SO happy with their new 1.6 dual core and 2 G RAM!

Beans

There are a lot of things you can rip out from a Xubuntu install to save space - strange fonts, Libreoffice (use abiword instead), cups/sane and all the printer drivers if not printing/scanning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12