Thread: what is wrong with this code?

Beans

what is wrong with this code?

make $@ all 1>>log.txt || exit 1

This is line 31 from a realtek autorun.sh file for an ethernet driver.
    When I try to run the SH file it stops at line 31 and reports "make: command not found"

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: what is wrong with this code?

It seems a command that make needs is not installed.

Beans

No, if make was calling something that is missing you'd get something like 'make: xxxx: command not found' (with xxxx being the name of the missing program). It's make itself that is not installed.

Holger

Beans

you are correct.
    I checked Can't find Build-essentials or Gcc can't get 'em cos no web access.
    This is a pickle
    Everything I need I need the web for. I don't know how to compile it manually. And I haven't found anyone posting about it online.
    There was a time when Cannonical was not including the ethernet drivers in the distro, but I believe they do now.
    I suspect what's happening is because my On board Ethernet functionality is broken but not lysed the install package sees it and tries to load for it and ignores the pcl-e card

I may have to let this drive take a nap until I get a new mainboard.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I think make, build-essential, gcc and some related tools are included on the live disk, but not installed by default. Insert your live disk, enable the repository on the live disk in your settings (it may be labelled cdrom, even if it's a usb) and install from there.

Beans

there is a Folder named Locale and Files named Autorun.ico, and autorun.inf, and kernel.sys, Command.Com and Autorun.bat. and Autoexec.bat
    The ones I can open are the Locale folder and ico image file. The locale folder has ega.cpx files numbered 1 - 18 and some keyboard files. Nothing that seems a likely candidate
    Last edited by raul-mccai; August 12th, 2021 at 11:14 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    I think make, build-essential, gcc and some related tools are included on the live disk, but not installed by default. Insert your live disk, enable the repository on the live disk in your settings (it may be labelled cdrom, even if it's a usb) and install from there.
    I've searched using the terms you have there and I've found nothing about enabling the repositories on the installation disk or USB.
    The only repositories I can find are the ones online like universal etc.

You sure this is a thing?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Open the Software & Update utility and in the Ubuntu Software tab there will be a box with the title Installable from CD-ROM or DVD. Tick the box with the label Cdrom with Ubuntu and the Ubuntu DVD or USB stick will become a repository. If you successfully install the packages you want from the USB stick then untick the box otherwise Software Updater will complain that it cannot find the repository every time you update.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530