Page 31 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Thread: Inspired

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Inspired

@MAFoElffen,

I'm really sorry. No such intention. I do appreciate your high ambitions and your work to create a very good tool. I have learned a lot during this short but very busy project from your method to make many small functions and also the tools that you use. For example curl and mokutil, that I never used before.

I only wanted to state that 'my tweak' to get rid of the null byte message is not only valid for backward compatibility but also for some 20.04 LTS systems, for example mine. You and other people have different versions and/or different settings and may need different tweaks to make our system-info script work correctly. So let us encourage everybody to test what works or does not work in their computers. All these tests should represent a fair share of what we will encounter when we start helping less experienced users and ask them to use system-info.
    Last edited by sudodus; September 10th, 2021 at 10:53 AM. Reason: added details about testing in many different systems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm somewhat behind, and only have time to try it. I got:

Code:
    [sudo] password for doug: [sudo] password for doug:
    Running Script: system-info ...
    pasteebinit is not installed.

Required basic Linux utilities not found.
    <E>xit and install the program(s) or <C>ontinue anyway? <E/C>
    which I think is merely a typo.
    I am running:
    Code:
    doug@s19:~/tmp/support-info$ git log --oneline
    ada932a (HEAD -> main, origin/main, origin/HEAD) Update system-info
    0777ce9 Integrated New Paster() function with alternate paste methods
    61c08bb Fixed GetOriginalInstallerDate
    7d757a5 (doug3) Removed old Paster() and all traces using pastebinit
    d1eaa39 Changing file permissions
    be4d19a Update system-info
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Pushed the spelling correction. Thank you. (Dang, LOL)

I guess I'm lucky that that was all so far... I think that change added about 150 lines(?) This "simple" script is now almost 1000 lines. But at least it is organized and easy to trace through and find things.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

Thanks for pushing the typo fix. I now get further (from my terminal):

Code:
    ---------- Memory Information:
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    ./system-info: line 583: -printf: command not found

... a few pages later ...

./system-info: line 583: -printf: command not found
    The result is stored in '/home/doug/system-info.txt'
     Sensitive data is [REMOVED] from the report file
    Do you want to upload the report file fo 'https://paste.ubuntu.com'? (y/N)
    I think this would fix (tested):

Code:
    doug@s19:~/tmp/support-info$ git diff
    diff --git a/system-info b/system-info
    index d2b5a14..db80cfa 100755
    --- a/system-info
    +++ b/system-info
    @@ -580,7 +580,7 @@ function GetOriginalInstallDate()
         # Makes best logical efforts.
         if [ $(sudo find /var/log/installer/ -type f | wc -l) -ne 0  ]
         then
    -        installer_date=$(sudo find /var/log/installer/ -type f | -printf "%T+\n"   | sort| head -1 2> /dev/null )
    +        installer_date=$(sudo find /var/log/installer/ -type f -printf "%T+\n"   | sort| head -1 2> /dev/null )
             installer_date="Original Installation Date:         ${setansi} ${installer_date%.*} $ransi"
         else
     #        sudo find / -maxdepth 1 -type d -printf "%T+ %p\n"| sort| head -1  # uncomment for debugging
    @@ -824,7 +824,7 @@ function Paster()
          ## Eval $paste_prog
          if [ $paste_prog -ne 0 ]
          then
    -         read -p "Do you want to upload the report file fo '$target'? (y/N) " ans
    +         read -p "Do you want to upload the report file to '$target'? (y/N) " ans
              if [[ ${ans,} =~ ^[Yy]$ ]]
              then
                  GetPingStatus "www.ubuntu.com"
    I was running this:
    Code:
    bcd6177 (HEAD -> main, origin/main, origin/HEAD) Merge branch 'main' of https://github.com/MAFoElffen1/system-info into main
    712c097 Update system-info
    2931edf Corrected Spelling of pastebinit in CheckPrerequisites()
    3771146 Corrected Speeling of pastebinit in CheckPrerequisites()
    ada932a Update system-info
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Sorry all. My hands were full this weekend. I can't really say much more than I needed to take care of some pressing family matters.

I made those changes and removed the debug statements. I just pushed it up...
    Code:
    mafoelffen@ubuntu:~/git/MAFoElffen1/system-info$ git add system-info
    mafoelffen@ubuntu:~/git/MAFoElffen1/system-info$ git commit -m "Correction of an extraneous filter in insteller date and removed debug statements."
    [main db1b10a] Correction of an extraneous filter in insteller date and removed debug statements.
     1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 10 deletions(-)
    mafoelffen@ubuntu:~/git/MAFoElffen1/system-info$ git push
    Enumerating objects: 5, done.
    Counting objects: 100% (5/5), done.
    Delta compression using up to 4 threads
    Compressing objects: 100% (3/3), done.
    Writing objects: 100% (3/3), 369 bytes | 369.00 KiB/s, done.
    Total 3 (delta 2), reused 0 (delta 0)
    remote: Resolving deltas: 100% (2/2), completed with 2 local objects.
    remote: This repository moved. Please use the new location:
    remote:   https://github.com/Mafoelffen1/system-info.git
    To https://github.com/MAFoElffen1/system-info
       bcd6177..db1b10a  main -> main
    EDIT: Changed the spelling correction in the message also...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; September 14th, 2021 at 04:31 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

Thanks. All good here now.

Running this:
    Code:
    ebc6e10 (HEAD -> main, origin/main, origin/HEAD) Spelling correction in 'fo' to 'to'.
    db1b10a Correction of an extraneous filter in insteller date and removed debug statements.
    bcd6177 Merge branch 'main' of https://github.com/MAFoElffen1/system-info into main

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Why do the "there is an update" links for this thread always take me to the first page, not the last, like every other thread link here does?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm going to say it to the rest, because this kind of change should be public and mentioned with group input and feedback...

Last week, in my prototype/test script for Paster(), I had DEBUG/TEST code in it, to visually display what the variable values "were" being passed under the covers. On Friday, after testing that new rewrite of that function, when I integrated that code back into MASTER, I was pressed for time, and (what I thought) mistakenly left that DEBUG/TEST code in MASTER. Yesterday, when I returned, I took those Debug statements out...

Note, that in that part of the script, those displayed statements do not affect the report...

sudosus feels that I should leave those statements there, displaying those to screen. That they are useful to him... I asked him to make his case on leaving those there. After messaging him on that, I thought maybe I should also ask how you all how feel about those.

Should they remain? Or is it distracting? If they remain, it would tell us what happened if someone does have a problem uploading the report... Or is it too much information and a distraction?

Until I get an answer on that, I re-added them to MASTER, but currently have them as commented out, until I get the feedback on that. When I do get feedback, then I'll decide what to do about those.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; September 15th, 2021 at 12:13 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I think I have one more thing I would like to include in this report, which keeps coming up in the last 4 LTS releases, that we keep asking
    Code:
    apt-cache show linux-generic-hwe-$(lsb_release -sr) | awk '/Depends:/ {print "HWE Package = " $2 ", Kernel Version = " $4}' | sed 's/..$//'
    sudo apt list | grep linux-generic-hwe-$(lsb_release -sr)
    - The first shows which Kernel version would be the HWE Kernel series current kernel for a release (for the release related HWE package).
    - The second shows if HWE is currently installed.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; September 15th, 2021 at 01:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Until I get an answer on that, I re-added them to MASTER, but currently have them as commented out, until I get the feedback on that. When I do get feedback, then I'll decide what to do about those.
    Sorry for being difficult, but I am not certain exactly sure what you want. I can not find a commit that put them back. I have 3 clones, two are identical, and one seems not up to date:

Code:
    git clone https://github.com/Mafoelffen1/support-info.git  <<<The main one I have been using
    git clone https://github.com/UbuntuForums/system-info.git  <<< seems obsolete
    git clone https://github.com/MAFoElffen1/system-info    <<< Identical to the first one
    Code:
    ebc6e10 (HEAD -> main, origin/main, origin/HEAD) Spelling correction in 'fo' to 'to'. <<< Same as this morning.
    db1b10a Correction of an extraneous filter in insteller date and removed debug statements.
    bcd6177 Merge branch 'main' of https://github.com/MAFoElffen1/system-info into main

Page 31 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast