Thread: Inspired

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Inspired

DEV/TEST is located at: https://github.com/Mafoelffen1/system-info
    STABLE is located at: https://github.com/UbuntuForums/system-info

Note: This thread was originally posted in-- Forum > Ubuntu Forums Members Area > Garden Party > Forum Members Chat, then later moved to here.

Back in 2012, I started creating an Ubuntu spinoff Support LiveCD that ran as Text Console and had a Minimal installed XServer that could run on-demand and use minimal resources. It had many scripts to collect information that I commonly asked for when trying to help people. I created it with the idea, that in supporting Ubuntu, there were many times, while supporting new users, there were many times when it seemed like we asked users to provide the same information over and over again.

The original boot-info script covered disk and boot problems. Yannbuntu took that and did a great job with his boot-repair ISO. That is pretty much covered... Though some say I should include Yann's current script in this project.

I mainly cover/support the Linux Graphics Layer, and the Installations and Updates, Ubuntu Server, and Virtualization sections in this forum. I have a lot of scripts that I use myself to diagnose problems.

i originally started this on Ubuntu 12.04 Server as a base abck in 2013. I had preinstalled text based console applications, that where mostly mouse aware and had menu's.: JED Text Editor/LeafPad, a simple File Manager, Lynx/Ice Weasel Browser and Networking tools, with a Bash Text menu. Tools that a newbie could use. Then with minimal XServer instance, had OpenBox,with menu's to Leafpad, pcman, gnome network, X apps and tools.

Since then, there has been more emphasis on whether a system starts on Legacy BIOS or UEFI...And how to give a user the ability to change there UEFI Firmware settings. Information on versions of graphics drivers and the hardware they have. SystemD came about, as well as many changes to Linux Kernel.

The original disk was based on the premise of a diagnostic flow chart for Linux. Does it boot to Grub? Does it boot a Linux Kernel to a text console? Can it start a Simple basic XSession for graphics? Can it connect to the outside world and resolve addresses? Can it find and mount an installed system? Many things can be corrected if the user is given a change to get to a command line... That helps us to be able to help them.

In the past three days, I have started updating what I had to 20.04 LTS. It is now dual boot for both BIOS and UEFI and be aware of what it booted as. Some of the applications are now not supported any more or have changed. Some I now have to build from source, because they are no longer in the repo's. Some commands in my old scripts have changed. Some applications, I have found better one's over the years: SubLime Text Editor, Tor, BCompare, Night Commander, the text console tools from beneath Network Manager... etc. And in the process of creating a better console menu with pdmenu.

But I am only a small part of this Forum... I only see what I am exposed to with what I help with. So in posting this here where there are other Ubuntu Members who support this forum and users of... Because, after all, this should benefit the Ubuntu Community as a whole:

What ideas do you think should be included? What information do you repetitively ask for from users to be able to help them?
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; September 15th, 2021 at 10:34 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Inspired

I don't really have much to say about it, other than it sounds like a nice project.

I can only speak for myself... I wrote and maintained a virtualbox auto-shutdown/boot script for a few years but I stopped working on it after I stopped using VirtualBox and moved to KVM. I had the script hosted on my website, but it hasn't been updated since 2012 since I don't use VirtualBox and I have no machines to validate it still works (especially with the systemd/upstart/whatever it is use nowadays).

Have you thought about putting it up on github or something similar?
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Have you thought about putting it up on github or something similar?
    I was thinking about that last night... I thought maybe when it gets a little closer to being something, and when it gets a usable name for it. LOL. I never though of that before (what to call it).
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; August 11th, 2021 at 01:58 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

MAFoElffen - Hey

My 2 cents for what I often ask in respect to permissions.
    "who" are you?
    Code:
    who
    id
    and what are the rights to the desktop?
    Code:

ls -ld Desktop/ Documents/ Downloads/
    ls -ld ../<user> /home
    Sure there are others, but this one is what 1st comes to mind.

cheers
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    What ideas do you think should be included? What information do you repetitively ask for from users to be able to help them?
    - General hardware data, brand name and model etc. Tool: 'sudo lshw' and maybe some filtering to get only what is relevant

- Drive data, often for USB drives, to get them available read/write. Tools: lsblk (with options), lsusb, lspci

- Boot problems: Boot repair is a good tool

- Live systems and installation of Ubuntu (family flavours). Often the OP does not tell enough about the symptoms, so maybe log files and efficient ways to filter them. I must admit, that I have problems to use some of the log files.

- Installation of program packages. Some tools to analyze and solve problems with apt. I know that oldfred has a list of commands to run in such cases.

- Installation and troubleshooting of snaps. I must admit, that I have problems to understand how to install and use some of them. Some tool or at least guidelines for troubleshooting would be welcome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

What a fantastic idea. So often an individual chooses to re-install rather than fix a problem which in some cases can be easily solved. Hats off MACoElffen.
    Rex
    Ubuntu Arizona LoCo Team - The Hottest LoCo on Earth
    Arizona LoCo |Arizona Team Wiki|Arizona Launchpad

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Boot-Repair requires a gui, but the old bootinfoscript which is actually a large part of Boot-Repair's report is text/terminal based.
    The old bootinfoscript did not include nvme & mmc drives & had not been updated. Some forks had partial update.

Yann updated it in Boot-Repair. One older verision it still was one larger file like or as bootinfoscript and included nvme & mmc drives.
    But his latest versions is now two files. Have not extracted those from Boot-Repair and determined if the still can be run independently.

As part of hardware, many issues often related to brand & model of video card/chip. So it would be good to parse output to give that.

I also run the wireless script from the Wireless sub-forum.
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=370108
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I emailed Yann, but he has not responded yet.

I have been logging the ideas from this thread and writing scripts from them, noting in the headers, who the inspiration was from.

Currently trying to write a script to mount and chroot into a broken system... So people can make changes to repair their system. (Without having to guess.) I wrote tutorials for years on how to do that. Can do that if I see what is there... But has been entertaining trying to automate that for different systems.

Beans
    Hidden!

I think you can rely on us (who have responded in this thread) to test your scripts and give you feedback.

Looking forward to test your new set of scripts

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Progress... Working on an Auto-Mount script to search out installed Ubuntu installations on a system , that is booted from this LiveCD... and chroot into them. Has a menu to give the user a choice of the installation they want to chroot into... Because some users do have multiple installed installations.

So far, I have it worked out for a normal Linux installed and for ZFS installed. Currently working on LVM installed.

Page 1 of 98 1231151 ... LastLast