Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Inspired

Pushed the recommended changes to TEST/DEV at MAFoElffen1:
    Code:
    mafoelffen@ubuntu:~/git/MAFoElffen1/system-info$ git add system-info
    mafoelffen@ubuntu:~/git/MAFoElffen1/system-info$ git commit -m "Change to alternate expression of incrementing count of missing programs. Openned filter of xranr results. Fixed redirection of ping stderr. Fixed permissions of system-info."
    [main 5b89e27] Change to alternate expression of incrementing count of missing programs. Openned filter of xranr results. Fixed redirection of ping stderr. Fixed permissions of system-info.
     1 file changed, 5 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)
     mode change 100644 => 100755 system-info
    mafoelffen@ubuntu:~/git/MAFoElffen1/system-info$ git push
    Enumerating objects: 5, done.
    Counting objects: 100% (5/5), done.
    Delta compression using up to 4 threads
    Compressing objects: 100% (3/3), done.
    Writing objects: 100% (3/3), 460 bytes | 460.00 KiB/s, done.
    Total 3 (delta 2), reused 0 (delta 0)
    remote: Resolving deltas: 100% (2/2), completed with 2 local objects.
    remote: This repository moved. Please use the new location:
    remote:   https://github.com/Mafoelffen1/system-info.git
    To https://github.com/MAFoElffen1/system-info
       10089f3..5b89e27  main -> main
    mafoelffen@ubuntu:~/git/MAFoElffen1/system-info$ git add system-info
    mafoelffen@ubuntu:~/git/MAFoElffen1/system-info$ git commit -m "Change to alternate expression of incrementing count of missing programs. Openned filter of xranr results. Fixed redirection of ping stderr. Fixed permissions of system-info. Incremented script date."
    [main 524cf59] Change to alternate expression of incrementing count of missing programs. Openned filter of xranr results. Fixed redirection of ping stderr. Fixed permissions of system-info. Incremented script date.
     1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)
    Writing objects: 100% (3/3), 408 bytes | 408.00 KiB/s, done.
       5b89e27..524cf59  main -> main
    Please test to see if anyone see's anything else...

I have another routine that gets the resolution of the Console and VTTY for server... But I am hesitant of using it in "this form of the script".

It uses the program 'setterm'- Which years ago, used to be a "default installed", but has not been installed as a default, even on Server Edition, since at least sometime before 18.04. I think it is useful, but... I think it is something that I can include in the Ama-GI LiveCD version, where I have more control over what is there (installed) to use.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; December 6th, 2021 at 11:34 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, to be honest most people do not read the stickies so it is almost no use adding new stickies, I know this first hand from repeatedly having to ask for users to run the wireless script, I recommend all of the people involved to put the script in there signatures that is a great way to advertise.
    Last edited by wildmanne39; December 6th, 2021 at 11:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Hey MAFoElffen

Do people read the Ubuntu UWN? Should I write an Article on our script to submit to the Ubuntu UWN?
    We have no stats on UWN reads - seldom any feed back. As such we work in the dark and hope for the best.

I encourage you to write up the article and post in in a prominent location where we on UWN can pick it up. Best viewability will be on the Hub:
    https://discourse.ubuntu.com/
    Though, of course, we can also pick it up from this forum.

least I can do to help
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Since this script is not going to get formally announced by the Admin Council in a Sticky, as it was with the wireless-info script in the past... Yes, I was told that they would not post an announcement as was with the wireless-info script Sticky, as there was already so many Sticky's in the Hardware Section already... And it didn't seem that they (The Admin Council) could decide what to do after that.

Eh? Have I been asleep or something?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    I have an idea...

Since this script is not going to get formally announced by the Admin Council in a Sticky, as it was with the wireless-info script in the past... Yes, I was told that they would not post an announcement as was with the wireless-info script Sticky, as there was already so many Sticky's in the Hardware Section already... And it didn't seem that they (The Admin Council) could decide what to do after that.

it is up to us to spread and make people know it is available and what it does. I was told we could make announcement posts about it... But I do not know were that would be appropriate, nor where it would be seen by who we want it to, or where it would not get berried quickly by other threads. Any ideas on that?

Do people read the Ubuntu UWN? Should I write an Article on our script to submit to the Ubuntu UWN?
    Good questions. I do not know how to spread the word. I have tried asking a few people with issues to run the script, but they have never posted again on whatever thread.

Interesting, I had never heard of Ubuntu UWN before. So my answer about if I read it would have to be no.

I'll try the latest version shortly.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@Bashing-om

When I was un-employed, I was asked by a technology media website if I could write articles for them... But that was regularly. And they wanted 5-6 submissions a week, which with what they paid, didn't seem to be feasible for the time. But they might pick up something like this, if I submitted it to them.

@CoffeeCat
    I'd have to go back through my PM's to get detail's and I don't want to put anyone on the spot... But, when I was going through the administrative details behind this, I was in contact with both Moderators and Admin's about this script, where it could be hosted for access to Ubuntu Forum's User's... Because I am no longer a Moderator, I was only told what was discussed, and what was approved. Then, after that process, i asked where to best to announce it as a release, after we had got it done, tested, approved, hosted on the UbuntuForums GitHub, etc... off the top of my head (without looking through those PM's) I was told that, but cannot recall by whom.

I figured, at the least, I could make a post in the 'Ubuntu Members Chat' (where I started this thread), and where the majority of 'Ubuntu Members' have access, where they can see it as a valuable tool for them, for User's trying to help Users that need help. That is where and why this Script was 'Inspired' from and for.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; December 7th, 2021 at 02:11 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Taking care of Admin- Issue that was reported at our UbuntuForums GitHub on the README.MD, spelling and wording... Using Pushes to make the changes to correct the right/correct way. (Through both TEST/DEV and Stable.)
    Code:
    mafoelffen@ubuntu:~/git/MAFoElffen1/system-info$ git add README.md
    mafoelffen@ubuntu:~/git/MAFoElffen1/system-info$ git commit -m "Updated README.md file to correct spelling and wording."
    [main a5fbfbe] Updated README.md file to correct spelling and wording.
     1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)
    Writing objects: 100% (3/3), 588 bytes | 588.00 KiB/s, done.
       524cf59..a5fbfbe  main -> main
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; December 7th, 2021 at 04:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I ran the latest development version:

Code:
    a5fbfbe (HEAD -> main, origin/main, origin/HEAD) Updated README.md file to correct spelling and wording.
    524cf59 Change to alternate expression of incrementing count of missing programs. Openned filter of xranr results. Fixed redirection of ping stderr. Fixed permissions of system-info. Incremented script date.
    Seemed fine. Report.

Code:
    ---- Required Programs For Report.
        --- Some Programs This Script Uses Were Missing --- 
        mokutil
        ubuntu-drivers
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans
    Hidden!

Have a look at this link. A user copied and pasted from less into a reply window instead of exiting from less and letting the system-info script upload a filtered result to a pastebin.

How can we help users avoid that mistake in the future? (I think we should modify the text at the head end of the content in less, but how?)

Beans
    Hidden!

What about this modification of the text at the head end of the content in less?

This output should first be viewed by less, then sent to a file

to:
    This output should be for your eyes only, viewed by less.
    Then quit from less with the <q> key, and after that you
    get the option to upload a filtered version to a pastebin.
    Last edited by sudodus; December 8th, 2021 at 09:27 PM.

Page 38 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast