Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Inspired

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    I would like to see some kind of warning to the user that the script may install software that's not already on the system. I got thrown slightly when it proceeded to install inxi - I wondered for several seconds if I'd managed to start the wrong script or something.

But overall, great stuff!
    I can add a Warning Message if it doesn't find inxi, and before it installs it, or... or We can inform the user, where the script is made available, that it may install one small, required utility to in able to run the script... Which do you think would be appropriate? Or do both?

Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    UbuntuForums system-info Script

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    I can add a Warning Message if it doesn't find inxi, and before it installs it, or... or We can inform the user, where the script is made available, that it may install one small, required utility to in able to run the script... Which do you think would be appropriate? Or do both?
    I'd suggest doing both, and maybe even telling them what utility is. A lot of people who are dealing with problems of this kind will be stressed out, which can take quite a toll on the ability to absorb information. (It makes some folks more paranoid as well - ask me how I know. )
    Ubuntu membership via Forums contributions
    BACKUP before installing or upgrading.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am running Kubuntu. So this is what session shows
    Code:
    fred@z97-focal-kubuntu:~$ echo $DESKTOP_SESSION 
    plasma 
    fred@z97-focal-kubuntu:~$ echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE                              
    x11
    fred@z97-focal-kubuntu:~$ gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme 
    'Breeze'

Last edited by oldfred; August 22nd, 2021 at 04:49 AM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!

@MAFoElffen,

I agree with Irihapeti, that it helps preserve peace of mind, if the script informs the user before installing inxi, maybe even gives a choice to abstain from it, and briefly tells about the consequences.

Otherwise I'm happy with the version of Report.sh in Post #29. I only suggest 3 small modifications. The main ones make it possible to see loop mounts other than snaps, which can provide valuable information via 'df' and 'lsblk'. The third tweak is cosmetic.

I store the file as Report05.sh, and if you do too, you can apply the following patch Report5to6.patch:

Code:
    --- Report05.sh	2021-08-22 12:35:42.526520252 +0200
    +++ Report06.sh	2021-08-22 13:03:03.830293472 +0200
    @@ -68,7 +68,7 @@
     sudo bash -c "inxi -CDGimMoprS | grep -v 'loop\|snap'" >> $report
     clear
     echo -e "${blueback}---------- File System Disk Space Usage:$resetvid" >> $report
    -bash -c "df -h | grep -v 'loop\|snap'" >> $report
    +bash -c "df -h | grep -v '/snap/'" >> $report
     echo -e "" >> $report
     echo -e "" >> $report
     echo -e "${blueback}---------- Additional Disk/Partition Information:$resetvid" >> $report
    @@ -76,7 +76,7 @@
     sudo bash -c "fdisk -l | grep 'Disk\|Device\|/dev/' | grep -v 'loop\|snap'"  >> $report
     echo -e "" >> $report
     echo -e "${blueback}---------- Information From 'lsblk':$resetvid"  >> $report
    -bash -c "lsblk -o NAME,SIZE,FSTYPE,LABEL,MOUNTPOINT,MODEL | grep -v 'loop\|snap'" >> $report
    +bash -c "lsblk -o NAME,SIZE,FSTYPE,LABEL,MOUNTPOINT,MODEL | grep -v '/snap/'" >> $report
     echo -e "    ------- 'lsblk' information continued..." >> $report
     bash -c "lsblk -o NAME,PARTUUID,UUID | grep -v loop" >> $report
     echo -e "${blueback}---------- Mount Details of '/etc/fstab':$resetvid"  >> $report
    @@ -99,7 +99,7 @@
     echo -e "" >> $report
     echo -e "*** End Of Report ***"  >> $report
     echo -e "" >> $report
    -echo -e "The Report can be found at $report, and can be viewed with"
    +echo -e "The Report can be found at '$report' and can be viewed with 'less'"
     echo -e ""
     echo -e ""
     less -r $report
    Run patch < Report5to6.patch

or if you prefer to check manually from a clear text diff and decide if you want it or not:

Code:
    71c71
    < bash -c "df -h | grep -v 'loop\|snap'" >> $report
    ---
    > bash -c "df -h | grep -v '/snap/'" >> $report
    79c79
    < bash -c "lsblk -o NAME,SIZE,FSTYPE,LABEL,MOUNTPOINT,MODEL | grep -v 'loop\|snap'" >> $report
    ---
    > bash -c "lsblk -o NAME,SIZE,FSTYPE,LABEL,MOUNTPOINT,MODEL | grep -v '/snap/'" >> $report
    102c102
    < echo -e "The Report can be found at $report, and can be viewed with"
    ---
    > echo -e "The Report can be found at '$report' and can be viewed with 'less'"
    Last edited by sudodus; August 22nd, 2021 at 01:26 PM. Reason: minor edit

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I am running Kubuntu. So this is what session shows
    Code:
    fred@z97-focal-kubuntu:~$ echo $DESKTOP_SESSION 
    plasma 
    fred@z97-focal-kubuntu:~$ echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE                              
    x11
    fred@z97-focal-kubuntu:~$ gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme 
    'Breeze'

I checked those environment variables in my main workstation (with a Lubuntu & Xubuntu operating system that should be replaced by something newer, yes, I know, but ...)

Code:
    $ lsb_release -a;echo $DESKTOP_SESSION;echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE;gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
    Description:	Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS
    Release:	18.04
    Codename:	bionic
    Lubuntu
    x11
    'Zukitwo-Dust'
    And in a test system in a laptop

Code:
    $ lsb_release -a;echo $DESKTOP_SESSION;echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE;gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
    Description:	Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
    Release:	20.04
    Codename:	focal
    ubuntu
    x11
    'Yaru'

Beans
    Hidden!

@MAFoElffen,
    @oldfred,

I think the user TBr at AskUbuntu can contribute to our work and we should make him feel welcome here. I wrote the following comment in this thread

@TBr, I suggest that you create a user ID at the Ubuntu Forums and when logged in take part in the discussions how to develop this tool. Unfortunately the thread 'Inspired' started by MAFoElffen, which should be the right place to post your Result.txt is in an Ubuntu member-only forum. I'm sure you can help us with fresh eyes and suggest improvements, so I will ask if a moderator can move the thread to a forum where all logged in users can read and write posts.
    Other non-member users might also be able to contribute with valuable tips and tests, but they cannot see it now.

If both of you (MAFoElffen and oldfred) think it is a good idea to move this thread 'Inspired' to a forum where all logged in users can read and write posts, please do so, oldfred

Edit: Now timro669 here at our Ubuntu Forums.
    Last edited by sudodus; August 22nd, 2021 at 06:31 PM. Reason: timro669 here

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I can easily move thread, but would like suggestion on "best" place?
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!

@everybody,

I began thinking about privacy/security after asking about moving this thread to a more public location. And privacy/security concerning the content of Report.txt, that we want users to show.

Please look carefully at what is written into this report (for example from your own computer) and let us know, if you think some part of it should be excluded because of privacy/security reasons.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I do not see anything I would not want to be posted.
    But then use Boot-Repair which posts a lot of info.
    The Wireless script does mask Mac addresses, not sure what else it does not show.

The lshw command has this:
    Code:
    -sanitize
                  Remove potentially sensitive information from output (IP addresses, serial numbers, etc.).

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I can easily move thread, but would like suggestion on "best" place?
    How important is it to select the best place? Most of the time I look for current posts without thinking about which subforum it is, except 'Ubuntu Development Version', where I spend extra time near the release of new versions. But it should be a forum with read/write permissions for all logged in users.

I can think of the following forums:

- General Help

- Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat

- or thinking of a suitable 'meta' forum (but the content of 'Inspired' does not match well with the typical content)
    . Development & Programming
    . Forum Feedback & Help

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast