Thread: Inspired

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Made updates to include Doug S'es suggestions and other updates:
    Thank you. Tried it. All good.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thank goodness. LOL.

Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    UbuntuForums system-info Script

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Pushed some minor changes to both repo's:
    - added resets to fix some ANSI in less.
    - highlighted some missing program prompts.
    - excluded mounts from search of original install date.

Beans
    Hidden!

Congratulations MAFoElffen,

I tested the current system-info script, and found no problem. I hope and think that we can use the current version for a long time - unless someone [else] finds a bug or wants a new feature

Let us all start using it now - not only testing, but to ask people to use it, upload to pastebin and make it easier for us to understand what they have and therefore easier to help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I've asked for two reports earlier today

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2468991
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2468924

Also, I noticed Doug S requested a report

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....9#post14067309

Let's hope that it becomes as useful as the boot-repair script.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I found a bug where something worked a bit differently than I expected. I am rewriting a section concerning how to calculate package names for HWE packages. Just FYI, that "that" will be in the next update.

EDIT:

Comments from users and people recommending users to run the script have asked me to expand on an explanation about the missing programs that it lists occasionally... The script "will run" without them... And some are not default installs to all Editions, versions and flavors of Ubuntu. I expanded the prompts for those... To try to explain that.

Those that asked for that say that this explanation will boost user confidence about running the script if that explanation is there. I added that if they take note of what is 'missing', if their problem is related to what those might have answered, they may be asked to install those related utilities...
    Code:
            echo -e "The Script 'system-info' uses some very basic Linux utilities. "
            echo -e "Some of these utilities were not found."
            nl
            echo -e "The report will still run without them. It will just not answer related questions."
            echo -e "Some of that information may be related to the diagnosis of your installed system."
            echo -e "If missing utilities may have answered your specified problem, you may "
            echo -e "be asked by a 'Ubuntu Forums Member' supporting you if a program was missing, and "
            echo -e "if you could install it to answer that related question."
            nl
            echo -e "Some of these utilities are not default installed utilities to all Editions, "
            echo -e "versions, and flavors of Ubuntu... So may be considered as optional. "
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; 5 Days Ago at 12:38 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

MAFoElffen,

This is good feedback from users

Just a thought: What about including 'missing programs' in the output file (to be uploaded to a pastebin)?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I was thinking about either including it "in the report", or... Adding it to the log file.

Where would be better? I think included in the report, would be immediate feedback to us, on what was missing (application-wise) on interpreting the results of the report...

EDIT:
    I think If I add it to the report... maybe also just add a disclaimer/header to that section saying that it is just informational, to help us interpret the report, to keep track of which utilities were used in the preparation of that report... That way if the User's issue would require answers from applications that were not installed, that we know right then and there, and can recommend to them that we need them to install those, to get that required information, to get those 'recommendations' for their solution...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; 2 Days Ago at 08:36 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    MAFoElffen,

This is good feedback from users

Just a thought: What about including 'missing programs' in the output file (to be uploaded to a pastebin)?
    Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    I was thinking about either including it "in the report", or... Adding it to the log file.

Where would be better? I think included in the report, would be immediate feedback to us, on what was missing (application-wise) on interpreting the results of the report...

EDIT:
    I think If I add it to the report... Just a disclaimer/header to that section saying that it is just informational, to help us interpret the report, to keep track of which utilities were used in the preparation of the report...
    Yes, included in the report would be immediate feedback to us. (Put a disclaimer if you wish.)

Beans
    Hidden!

While editing the system-info script, please consider also this issue

When some uploading tool is missing, maybe we should inform the user that

- uploading to a pastebin will still work, but in a more primitive way, if only wget or nc is available
    - uploading to a pastebin will not work, if none of curl, pastebinit, wget, nc is available
    - otherwise we should not worry the user at all.

Alternative: Only inform the user, that uploading to a pastebin will not work, if none of curl, pastebinit, wget, nc is available.

Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast