Thread: Inspired

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Dang.

Something in "Updates" just broke NVidia 3rd Party in the Linux Graphics Layer. I may have some distractions there supporting that today... Up now, but in nomodeset...
    Cough ... LVM/zfs snapshot pre-update?

Beans
    Hidden!

@ everybody,

- It seems nc is bundled in all relevant versions and flavours of Ubuntu, so if we can use that for uploading, the users that we try to help need not install curl or pastebinit.

@ MAFoElffen,

Tough luck with the graphics. Is the previous kernel still there? In that case it might work if you boot into it instead of the default. That is a workaround until you have time to fix it for the newest kernel (which may take a lot of time, maybe you must wait for a new kernel version or new proprietary driver).

So we must sit back and think for a while. Maybe that will help us find better solutions also for our system-info script.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@sudodus,

It wasn't a kernel update, and trying the earlier kernel didn't change it. nomodeset brings it back up normal. So "something" else.

Affected 20.04 21.04 and 21.10 in one swipe. I don't know about other's yet.

Dang.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!

@MAFoElffen,

Strange, my tweak for installer_date worked for me in different computers. You must know how to apply the patch,so I guess the directory structure with files are different. My solution causes problems in some of your systems and your solution causes problems in some of my systems. But we'll solve it, now that you take a deeper look at it, and I and others can check that it works 'everywhere'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

So something like
    Code:
    cat system-info | nc termbin.com 9999
    Should work if the output file is system-info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Cough ... LVM/zfs snapshot pre-update?
    I know better (embarrassingly),but was in a hurry... LOL.

Quote from John Lennon:
    "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans."

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@sudosus and @jeremy31 :

Hmmmm. That is interesting. (ncat/nc has some other outside, external issues that I will discuss below. [1])

In order of preference of using and error correction, I would prefer using curl, pastebinit, then (last ditch effort) netcat (nc)...

If we were looking at going down that road... Then look for curl, if curl is not there... Look for pastebinit, if pastebinit not there... Then use nc [1]. In the process of the search, set the paste_method. Split out the paste_method's and use the appropriate method for what is found there. I think that would be the smartest and safest for Paster() to be a stable for the "what-may-be's" of user combinations.

*** Note #1 ***
    The other issues that nc/ncat would bring up... (nc and netcat are the same program. Sometimes the only difference is that one is a symlink to the other.)

If I use nc, then I have to check if an AV is up or not before, and tell user's to turn it off before running the script. But the timing of that would be when and only if the other two programs are not found. Many Anti-Virus programs have the program 'nc' listed in their databases as a virus. Not because it is a virus, but because many virus's use nc to transport information. I don't think that is "fair" or correct, but that is the way it is. A lot of AV's will prevent nc from working if called from a script.

Just saying it adds another layer that I have to deal with and that recommenders of the script will have to be aware of.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; September 8th, 2021 at 11:59 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy31 View Post
    So something like
    Code:
    cat system-info | nc termbin.com 9999
    Should work if the output file is system-info
    Yes, it works, and is so easy.

- The addresses are very short. my test created https://termbin.com/5a3y
    - If many people use it, things might soon be overwritten or if they check, no addresses available
    - One month planned lifetime for each paste is good for our purpose

Did you find termbin.com now, or have you known about it earlier? Have you used it (or only tested it)?

@MAFoElffen,

I understand that there can be problems with nc, and I agree with your priority: 1:curl; 2:pastebinit; 3:nc; 4; copy & paste manually (maybe via another computer).
    Last edited by sudodus; September 9th, 2021 at 12:08 AM. Reason: problems with nc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I am also a Linux Mint user and a moderator on the forums and also provide wifi support on IRC. A few years ago gist.github.com stopped allowing anonymous posts so we switched to termbin

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If it is okay to use another Pastebin, for this, besides those at ubuntu.com... (termbim.com) Then I can just also use "wget".

This works, and has more programmatic error feedback, when called from a script than "nc"... and is not in any AV databases where it might be a problem:
    Code:
    wget --quiet -O- --post-data=$report 'termbin.com:9999'
    And "wget" is default everywhere in Linux.

Page 29 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast