--url https://paste.ubuntu.com \
    --output /dev/null \
    --write-out "%{url_effective}\n" \
    --data-urlencode "content@${PASTEBIN_CONTENT:-/dev/stdin}" \
    --data "poster=${PASTEBIN_POSTER:-TheFu@`hostname`}" \
    --data "expiration=${PASTEBIN_EXPIRATION:-month}" \
    --data "syntax=${PASTEBIN_SYNTAX:-text}"
    I'd love to disable the colors too!
    When the screen came up, it seemed like it was still running .... so I walked away. Came back 5 min later and nothing had changed. <cntl>-c got me out.

Lots of trusting of the PATH. Guess I'm the only one who finds that scary?

Any plans to add pvs, vgs, lvs to the storage section, if LVM is used? It is just a checkbox during the installation ... or enabled if encrypted install is selected.

For the local output file, I'd love it if the filename had a date-stamp. ... and it was put into /tmp/ .... where things like this belong.
    /tmp/sys-info-$(/usr/bin/date "+%F") for example. Or even /tmp/sys-info-$$-$(/usr/bin/date "+%F")

Would be nice to dump all the exact commands for people interested in seeing those. Some people don't want to know the details, but others do. They are just lacking the ability to read scripts.

But these could be the "too many cooks" problem all over again.
    Last edited by TheFu; September 7th, 2021 at 12:25 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Inspired

I am almost always suggesting users update UEFI firmware.
    Partially for this:
    Spectre virus, repoline firmware update
    Almost all systems need UEFI updates, anyway, for mitigation of Meltdown and Spectre CPU vulnerabilities from cpu speculative execution and caching.
    check for "cpu_insecure" on the bug line in the /proc/cpuinfo output if running the Linux 4.15-rc6 or later.
    But this is shown for each processor, so not straight forward to exact.

Code:
    bugs            : cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass l1tf mds swapgs itlb_multihit srbds

UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!

@oldfred,

Please explain. I read your advice like I should use

Code:
    grep "cpu_insecure" /proc/cpuinfo
    That command finds nothing, but

Code:
    grep bugs /proc/cpuinfo
    finds meltdown and spectre. Does that mean that I should upgrade the BIOS or not? I'm running in BIOS alias legacy mode.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My system is from 2014 and has not had an UEFI update for years.
    So do not know if that means it is an issue or if it has been updated via Linux firmware.

The resolution as I understood it, was both UEFI updates & kernel, driver updates for all operating systems.
    Issue was bigger on Intel, but also AMD, Arm & even IBM cpus.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Dang. See? LOL.

This is what I get for updating and rewriting code and testing... I think I have something locked down, and the "preferences" for what I just rewrote has changed(?)

I agree with TheFu, that is possible to paste to pastebin, without using pastebinit. And 'curl' is always there. "I" will look at that.

And "sudodus", please... Why are you asking people about making changes on the same things that "you" asked me if I could rewrite and change? I just finished those changes, and you are trying to propose that I change that again, before you even see how it changed... And... Why are you still continuing to post different full versions of this, instead of proposed changes and proposed patches of, when I am trying to get this locked down to just "One Master Version". That seems to cause confusion and more work, right? I apologize, but now you are even confusing me. Please take a breath.

LOL. I'm offline for a few hours, come back, and it seems like I needed to say a few things about that. That is now out and said...

I made some changes to the Master at MAFoFen1/system-info/system-info. So that one needs testing. I would like to push this script from MAFoElffen1 up to UbuntuForums. Eventuallly, soon, I need to lock this down on addition's and concentrate on formatting and making it more robust.

I do know "something" about that one-liner script in README.md. It's becoming a PITA. It seems like that file is very picky and when I edit it there (online), like it sometimes adds invisible extraneous characters somewhere in that one-liner. It can look visually like it is exactly the same, but is not, somehow. I can put it in my editor, cut it into one line across, redo it, and it works again. That is getting frustrating. But it also tells me every time I edit that file, that I need to recheck that one-liner to make sure it still works.

I know I might regret asking this, but I have to ask... Is there anything else? Any more "proposed" changes to the Master at MAFoElffen1, before I push it to UbuntuForums?
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; September 7th, 2021 at 12:40 AM.

Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and UNIX...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot
    UbuntuForums system-info Script

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Aren't people doing modifications using git? That seems like a reasonable low-bar to have changes incorporated - that and providing a "pull" request to MAFoElffen. Git is designed exactly for this use - teams working on the same code.
    Last edited by TheFu; September 7th, 2021 at 03:53 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@TheFu - Exactly

I consider MAFoElffen1/system-info as "Test". People's own personal branches as "Dev", pushing proposed to that. That is what I do... And MAFoElffen1/system-info pushing to UbuntuForum/system-info as that being what should be "Stable".

I mean, we can discuss proposed ideas here, but too many things are getting confused as "this is the way it is now". And ending up with our Testers having to test multiple version, of what it is not. And me having to figure out what is proposed or not, trying to keep up with the various quantum variations of...

I mean, the ideas are great, but the confusion is mounting. Or am I wrong about that?
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; September 7th, 2021 at 02:07 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm thinking I may have to do a backdoor hack to MAFoElffen1/system-info concerning the REAME.MD files...

On what updates UbuntuForum's system-info README.md file, and what displays at MAFoElffen1/system-info as it's README.md file... I'm thinking that will lessen the occurrences of those files breaking down with the one-liner script displayed from those.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; September 7th, 2021 at 02:14 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Okay... I looked at the proposed patches and recommendations... Here's what I did.

I had asked about how much USB you all thought about what is desired and/or needed. For now, I'm going down from -vv to -v. I'm making that decision myself,based on experience. Seeing the added ID line on -v helps to see what is there. The added /dev/bus /proc/bus/ line is useless.

On mokutil. That should be catching that from Prerequisites, and I need to see why it isn't, but as a fallback, error correction for it in GetSb() also. Since I added catching stderr from mokutil on a test call in that condition eval tree last night. Since I am already doing that, I identified what the stderr is when it is not there, added added a codition to that tree to catch that, before a live call.

I applied some of the proposed patch changes. Some of the others would have undone spelling corrections, caused logic problems in other areas, or were just another perspective of changes that were just rewriiten. A lot was because there were comment changes in my notes...

I'm going to ignore any more changes to the current Paster() until I look at again and rewrite another function in parallel to it using 'curl' to test.

We need recheck CheckPrerequisites() to see hwy some of those are escaping past there (mokutil).

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Okay... I looked at the proposed patches and recommendations... Here's what I did.

I had asked about how much USB you all thought about what is desired and/or needed. For now, I'm going down from -vv to -v. I'm making that decision myself,based on experience. Seeing the added ID line on -v helps to see what is there. The added /dev/bus /proc/bus/ line is useless.

On mokutil. That should be catching that from Prerequisites, and I need to see why it isn't, but as a fallback, error correction for it in GetSb() also. Since I added catching stderr from mokutil on a test call in that condition eval tree last night. Since I am already doing that, I identified what the stderr is when it is not there, added added a codition to that tree to catch that, before a live call.

I applied some of the proposed patch changes. Some of the others would have undone spelling corrections, caused logic problems in other areas, or were just another perspective of changes that were just rewriiten. A lot was because there were comment changes in my notes...

I'm going to ignore any more changes to the current Paster() until I look at again and rewrite another function in parallel to it using 'curl' to test.

We need recheck CheckPrerequisites() to see hwy some of those are escaping past there (mokutil).
    This looks like a good way to manage the current situation

Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast