Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why cant I post?

Beans

Why cant I post?

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access this resource.

Apache/2.4.29 (Ubuntu) Server at ubuntuforums.org Port 443

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Why cant I post?

In which sub-forum are you attempting to post? Which thread? Are you attempting to start a new thread?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Same here, I am a new account. But I just want to post a question about the advantage and disadvantage of having ubuntu as the OS of my laptop. Hopefully, someone can help us address the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by themarkw2 View Post
    Same here, I am a new account. But I just want to post a question about the advantage and disadvantage of having ubuntu as the OS of my laptop. Hopefully, someone can help us address the problem.
    Can you please provide the URL used where you got an error.

If you don't have it, try creating a new post, and if it fails, report the URL for the problem (that and the time it occurs allows investigations to be done on the actual cause).

Thanks for reporting your issue, Sorry it occurred though

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    In which sub-forum are you attempting to post? Which thread? Are you attempting to start a new thread?
    THIS ONE
    I am trying to post a questions about installing an ethernet driver with the long sad tale of drunkness and cruelty articulating my efforts to date. I've tried like 5 times and I get the same damn error message each time
    I tried posting it to this OP as an EDIT and f got the same eror message
    It's nothing but text no attachments no special fonts no colors just plain text

Beans

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE TRYING TO POST
    Trying to install an SH file to drive a Pcle Ethernet Card It uses Realtek drivers. The box says linux but the installation CD only has windows drivers

From within the pertinent folder I ran
    bash autorun.sh
    To install a Realtek ethernet driver this is what I got. I think it’s saying that it was unable to remove the old driver.

My mainboard had a failure in the onboard ethernet component so I got a Pcle card I have three operating systems on three hard drives that I use for various purposes. One is Win 7 another is Ubuntu 20.04 and another Ubuntu20.04.
    I got he Driver installed on two but the third is giving me fits. So I backed everything up and reinstalled the OS and this is what (infra) Bash gave me when I ran it:

Check old driver and unload it.
    rmmod r8169
    rmmod: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod-module.c:799 kmod_module_remove_module() could not remove 'r8169': Operation not permitted
    rmmod: ERROR: could not remove module r8169: Operation not permitted
    Build the module and install
    autorun.sh: line 31: make: command not found

So I tried
    ./ autorun.sh
    and got the same result

I’ve seen people talking about dragging the SH file to the terminal, but I have no idea how they accomplish this. I tried cut and pasting the contents of the SH file to the terminal.
    When I do it runs something so fast that I can’t see what’s happening and then closes the terminal.

I right clicked the SH file and in properties I made sure the box to allow it to llow it to run as an executable.
    Nothing happened when I Dbbl Click it
    HOWEVER that was how I ran it on my other ubuntu installation. Double clicking let it run as an executable file

I ran
    nano autorun.sh
    chmod +x script autorun.sh

The result “seemed” to run the code in the SH file Lots of colored Font with spacing very much identical to the script in the SH file, but the program ran and ran and ran. Minutes later I clicked the Button to close the terminal and got a message that the program was still running. I could hear occasional read write cycles on the Hard Disk.
    It’s been an hour and nothing had changed so I’m shutting it down.

I’m stuck Any ideas?

Beans

Run:
    Code:
    sudo apt install build-essential
    Then retry

Beans

First: normally the drivers included with Ubuntu are quite close to current. So unless this is a completely new network chip on the card you're using - it isn't, Realtek has been making variants of this chip since at least 2012 - you should try to just use the card without trying to install drivers from some CD. Quite often these drivers are actually older than the ones already installed (check the file dates; if the files are older than the version of Ubuntu you're running, than installing them is probably a downgrade).

'rmmod' - the command to unload a kernel module - needs full administrative privileges to run. So you either need to run 'sudo rmmod r8169' or run the script with 'sudo bash autorun.sh'. Much more problematic is the missing 'make'. If 'make' - a tool to control compilation of programs according to a file full of rules - is missing, then you probably don't have a compiler installed, either. If you have some working network connection you can just run 'sudo apt install build-essential' and get make,the Gnu Compiler Collection (gcc) and some basic libraries, but if you don't have any network connectivity thinks might get interesting.

'nano' is an editor that runs in a terminal. The coloured text you saw when running 'nano autorun.sh' is syntax colouring; basically the editor colouring different parts of the script depending on their function. You should have seen some helpful hints for various functions of the editor at the bottom of the screen including '^X Exit' meaning 'hit ctrl-x to exit'. Obviously loading a file into an editor does not run it ...

Holger

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have the same problem, and it's new.
    Something has happened to the web site, but I can't pinpoint exactly when it happens.

Beans

Thank you for that cogent and educative post.

“the drivers included with Ubuntu are quite close to current. “

This is a fresh install of 20.04 from a thumb drive image. I checked the box for third party and wi-fi options to be installed. I have no idea if internet functionality is necessary to accomplish this. So unless it was in the image on the thumb drive, it ain’t there.
    Think I should reinstall the OS and hope?
    Yah I think I shall. What's the worst that can happen?

“try to just use the card without trying to install drivers”
    I had no internet on my other two Operating systems until I installed the drivers. I have none on the one in question. I can not tell you whether the card had drivers pre-installed. But there is no internet.

I thought it was interesting that my windows 7 install of the Win 7 Driver didn’t also facilitate the Ubuntu OS access to the web. This MainBoard was running Win7 prior to my using it primarily as a linux box and I have never experienced driver incompatibility issues when swapping the hard drives to swap operating systems.
    I’m stumped.

I noticed the line of commands available at the bottom of the screen when I ran nano.
    I did not understand that ^X meant to hit Control X so I typed the carrot symbol and X instead.

So to your suggestions
    I ran the code you suggested:
    sudo rmmod r8169
    when I did it from the home folder nothing happened I got my prompt back is all
    then from within the pertinant folder the code returned “
    “rmmod: ERROR: Module r8169 is not currently loaded”

So I ran :
    sudo bash autorun.sh
    it returned the following:
    “Check old driver and unload it.”
    “Build the module and install”
    “autorun.sh: line 31 make: command not found”

I am guessing that refers to the line in the SH script which is as follows:
    “make $@ all 1>>log.txt || exit 1”

It says make but the rest of it is gobbledy-gook to my eyes.

Ran sudo ./autorun.sh

Same result as above but different syntax:
    Make not found line “Check old driver and unload it.”
    “Build the module and install”
    “./autorun.sh: 31: make: not found”

Still no joy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast