Thread: installer does not recognize luks encrypted boot partition

Beans

installer does not recognize luks encrypted boot partition

hi guys,

i was trying to setup a fully encrypted system (boot and data like here: Full_Disk_Encryption_Howto_2019 - Community Help Wiki (ubuntu.com)), but the 20.04.2 installer does not recognize the luks enabled boot volume. before continuing with the installer i've used ssh to create all the partitions, create the luks partition for boot and one for data. i've added the data partition to an lvm and created the volumes. so after this is all done, the scheme looks like this:

root@ubuntu-server:~# lsblk
    NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    loop0 7:0 0 356.6M 1 loop /media/filesystem
    loop1 7:1 0 233.3M 1 loop
    loop2 7:2 0 57.1M 1 loop /usr/lib/modules
    loop3 7:3 0 31.1M 1 loop /snap/snapd/10707
    loop4 7:4 0 55.4M 1 loop /snap/core18/1944
    loop5 7:5 0 69.9M 1 loop /snap/lxd/19188
    loop6 7:6 0 52.7M 1 loop /snap/subiquity/2280
    sda 8:0 0 30G 0 disk
    ├─sda1 8:1 0 1G 0 part
    │ └─LUKS_BOOT 253:0 0 1022M 0 crypt
    ├─sda2 8:2 0 2M 0 part
    ├─sda3 8:3 0 128M 0 part
    └─sda5 8:5 0 28.9G 0 part
    └─sda5_crypt 253:1 0 28.9G 0 crypt
    ├─ubuntu--vg-swap_1 253:2 0 4G 0 lvm
    └─ubuntu--vg-root 253:3 0 19.9G 0 lvm
    sr0 11:0 1 1.1G 0 rom /cdrom

so as you can see the boot partition is 1G in size and the crypt-volume is opened and named LUKS_BOOT. same for the data partition -> sda5_crypt, with the underlying lvm volumes for swap and root.

after that i've went back to the console and continued the installer till the partitioning tasks and selcted custom. now the screen shows the encrypted lvm, but not the luks_boot volume. instead it only shows the raw partition as unused. how do i get the luks_boot volume to show up in the installer that i can format it as ext4 and mount on /boot. and last i also need to set /dev/sda as boot device which is also not working because i can't select it

if i do the same with the desktop version (also 20.04.2) everything works fine. any idea why they behave differently? or is there a way to boot to desktop live cd and install the server version?
    Last edited by fst001; August 10th, 2021 at 04:00 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: installer does not recognize luks encrypted boot partition

Quote Originally Posted by fst001 View Post
    i was trying to setup a fully encrypted system (boot and data like here: Full_Disk_Encryption_Howto_2019 - Community Help Wiki (ubuntu.com)), but...

<Edited>

if i do the same with the desktop version (also 20.04.2) everything works fine. any idea why they behave differently? or is there a way to boot to desktop live cd and install the server version?
    Not completely sure, as I do not use LUKS, but...
    Inthe tutrial you followed, in the prerequisites, it said that the Desktop Version was required... In 20.04, in the installer LiveCD's, the Desktop LiveCD is the "debian installer". In the Server LiveCD, the installer is "subiquity server installer'"...

During the Live Installer Announcement, before the release: https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/serve...0-04-lts/13631

...I remember there where concerns of the new installer's behavior with LUKS and it's abilities at that time. If you search in the comments section, you will see 7 comments about that. https://discourse.ubuntu.com/search?...0topic%3A13631

I think I remember during testing of the Autoinstaller, that there was mention that you had to enter the luks encryption key into the autoinstall scripts and that it was a problem that it couldn't be done interactively...

But then on the Ubuntu ManualFullSystemEncryption Wiki page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...stemEncryption
    It had this note about 20.04:
    Special note for 20.04: This works only if using LUKS 1. It doesn't work with LUKS 2. I don't know why.
    But I think this tutorial is a bit more complete and has diagnostics tips that might help you... https://dev-notes.eu/2020/12/LUKS-En...-Ubuntu-20.04/

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

thanks for your response!

yes i know that the installers are different but i thought this is no big deal since both use the same underlying tools to setup (i think )

I remember there where concerns of the new installer's behavior with LUKS and it's abilities at that time.
    i know that the boot partition is only allowed to be luks1 because GRUB can only open v1. so the boot partition is luks1 and the data partition is default luks2 with lvm (which the installer is picking up, when manually unlocked)

i'll go ahead and give the links you posted a read and get back if i was able to get it up and running

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Maybe this is similar to the issue I had creating a boot partition with LVM. There is some trickery you have to do with the new non-debian installer for some situations but I have not tried LUKS encryption.

Ubuntu "live" Server 20.04 - How to create custom partition /boot + LVM ???

LHammonds

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LHammonds View Post
    Maybe this is similar to the issue I had creating a boot partition with LVM. There is some trickery you have to do with the new non-debian installer for some situations but I have not tried LUKS encryption.

Ubuntu "live" Server 20.04 - How to create custom partition /boot + LVM ???

LHammonds
    sadly not, but thanks for the try. the problem here is that the encryption is created from the live environment, but the installer is somehow not picking up all the volumes (or simply can't handle a non LVM encrypted partition/volume)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    But I think this tutorial is a bit more complete and has diagnostics tips that might help you... https://dev-notes.eu/2020/12/LUKS-En...-Ubuntu-20.04/
    i've had a read on all your links, but was not able to find a solution

do you, or someone else know if there is a way to boot to desktop live cd and run the server installer or use dd/chroot or whatever to manually install the server, bootloader and so on?

Beans

wooooohooooo i managed to get it running

i used the alternate installer (which is available for 20.04). it is not as comfortable as with the live, because you cant use ssh to copy the loooooooong encryption keys, it works.

so what i've done....

• boot server live installer and set keyboard language
    • change to console window with alt-f2
    • edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config to allow root login
    • systemctl restart sshd
    • set root pw
    • ssh in and create partions e.g.

Code:
    export DEV=/dev/sda
    sgdisk --new=1:0:+1G $DEV
    sgdisk --new=2:0:+2M $DEV
    sgdisk --new=3:0:+128M $DEV
    sgdisk --new=5:0:0 $DEV
    sgdisk --typecode=1:8301 --typecode=2:ef02 --typecode=3:ef00 --typecode=5:8301 $DEV
    sgdisk --change-name=1:/boot --change-name=2:GRUB --change-name=3:EFI-SP --change-name=5:rootfs $DEV
    sgdisk --hybrid 1:2:3 $DEV

sgdisk --print $DEV

• create luks volumes

Code:
    cryptsetup luksFormat --type=luks1 /dev/sda1
    cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/sda5
    cryptsetup open /dev/sda1 LUKS_BOOT
    cryptsetup open /dev/sda5 sda5_crypt

• format partitions

Code:
    mkfs.ext4 -L boot /dev/mapper/LUKS_BOOT
    mkfs.vfat -F 16 -n EFI-SP /dev/sda3

• create lvm on top of luks (for / and swap)

Code:
    pvcreate /dev/mapper/sda5_crypt
    vgcreate ubuntu-vg /dev/mapper/sda5_crypt
    lvcreate -L 4G -n swap_1 ubuntu-vg
    lvcreate -l 80%FREE -n root ubuntu-vg

• reboot and boot from alternate installer, continue till keyboard language is set
    • alt-f2 to change to console
    • mount luks partitions

Code:
    cryptsetup open /dev/sda1 LUKS_BOOT
    cryptsetup open /dev/sda5 sda5_crypt

• alt-f1 to move back to the installer
    • continue till disk setup -> manual
      • swap -> use as swap
      • sda5_crypt-ubuntu-vg-root -> ext4 + format -> mountpoint /
      • LUKS_BOOT -> ext4 + format -> mountpoint /boot

• save layout and continue
    • continue installer till bootloader -> do not proceed yet
    • alt-f2 to console
    • create folders under /target/etc if they do not exist and execute

Code:
    echo "GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y" > /target/etc/default/grub.d/local.cfg

• alt-f1 to installer and install bootloader
    • alt-f2 to console and run the following commands

Code:
    mount /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root /target
    for n in proc sys dev etc/resolv.conf; do mount --rbind /$n /target/$n; done 
    chroot /target
    mount -a
    apt install -y cryptsetup-initramfs
    echo "KEYFILE_PATTERN=/etc/luks/*.keyfile" >> /etc/cryptsetup-initramfs/conf-hook 
    echo "UMASK=0077" >> /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf 
    mkdir /etc/luks
    dd if=/dev/urandom of=/etc/luks/boot_os.keyfile bs=512 count=1
    chmod u=rx,go-rwx /etc/luks
    chmod u=r,go-rwx /etc/luks/boot_os.keyfile
    cryptsetup luksAddKey /dev/sda1 /etc/luks/boot_os.keyfile 
    cryptsetup luksAddKey /dev/sda5 /etc/luks/boot_os.keyfile
    echo "LUKS_BOOT UUID=$(blkid -s UUID -o value /dev/sda1) /etc/luks/boot_os.keyfile luks,discard" >> /etc/crypttab
    echo "sda5_crypt UUID=$(blkid -s UUID -o value /dev/sda5) /etc/luks/boot_os.keyfile luks,discard" >> /etc/crypttab
    update-initramfs -u -k all

• reboot and enjoy a fully encrypted system

credits go to this tut Full_Disk_Encryption_Howto_2019 - Community Help Wiki (ubuntu.com) - i only changed it to match the server version which was not too straightforward. so hopefully the ubuntu guys fix this flaw in the live installer soon

enjoy!
    Last edited by fst001; August 16th, 2021 at 06:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hmmm....looks like I need to update the Ubuntu Server 20.04 - Difference between "live" and "legacy" thread and add this issue to it as well.

LHammonds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Congrats on figuring that one out! My hat off to you on that.

Sometimes I wish we could tag/save a specific post. That was full of a lot of good information.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Congrats on figuring that one out! My hat off to you on that.

Sometimes I wish we could tag/save a specific post. That was full of a lot of good information.
    We can. I use vimwiki to save off links and any content with my notes added. For stuff I want to keep a local copy, there's wallabag. Or did you want a way for the forum software to make this easy?