Thread: The Devil Whiskey

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

The Devil Whiskey

Ok, I know Artificial Intelligence has this game, and that he wrote a how to on getting it to work for Dapper, but I still have problems with it.

Granted right now I'm running Debian Sid. When I first ran the game, it ran ok, but spat out some Python error messages. Then after reading AI's how to, it said that it uses Python2.2. So I had to enable the Etch repositories, since Sid no longer has Python2.2 in it.

After installing it the game loaded, and runs, but as soon as I get into any encounters that then have treasure, the game crashes. Well, the treasure screen comes up, but then after I take it all, it crashes with this error;

Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "<string>", line 1, in ?
      File "/usr/lib/python2.2/random.py", line 76, in ?
        from math import log as _log, exp as _exp, pi as _pi, e as _e
    ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.2/lib-dynload/math.so: undefined symbol: PyFPE_jbuf
    Segmentation fault
    The game looks sweet, and I'd rather not have a game that cost 30 bucks that I can't play. I guess I could always play in Windows... but that was one of the reasons I got the game is because it runs in Linux.

It gave different errors when I ran it with python2.4, if those would help, I can remove python2.2 and get the output again. I also could not find the 2.01a patch, not sure if they released it for linux or not. If all else fails, I can try emailing support, but it didn't look like that was too active (at least their forums aren't.)

Leech
    Wah! Wah! Life was more entertaining when I had 64KB of RAM in my computer.
    Neverwinter Nights Platinum HowTo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: The Devil Whiskey

What I know is there's a bug in Python2.2 which might make some weird stuff happen in The Devil Whiskey (I've checked a bug report on Debian), but I don't know if it have been correctly (in the light it's old).
    I think the linux version is = 2.0 windows version. I don't have the game installed at the moment so I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Perfect Storm; August 29th, 2006 at 10:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Re: The Devil Whiskey

Yeah, it says it's the 2.0 version, so I don't know if they released a patch for the newer version or not.

I initially had the Ubuntu dapper python2.2 package installed and it gave the same error.

I'll try sending them some email and see if they reply.

Leech
    Wah! Wah! Life was more entertaining when I had 64KB of RAM in my computer.
    Neverwinter Nights Platinum HowTo