Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with setting up Ubuntu post-installation on MacBook Air 2020

Beans

Re: Help with setting up Ubuntu post-installation on MacBook Air 2020

dont feel bad, Firelady
    i spent all yesterday trying to install Unbuntu on a macbook air 3,1 and never got past the white to orange dots
    i even dusted off a cd player/burner and tried to install via a dvd.
    at least you had some success installing the OS.

Beans

I have the 2020 macbook air, intel. I cant even get it to boot from the usb drive. I disabled the security chip but it still wont boot from the usb, just goes straight into mac os.

Beans

FWIW I thought I'd add my experience.

I have a Macbook Air 2017 7,2 which I bought thinking 'well I can always load linux if I can't get on with macos'. I have been using Ubuntu for well over 10 years so was a little nervous.

Anyway, as the frustrations of the Apple straight jacket, ebb & flow, I have repeatedly got close to installing but cringe at the potential mine field that I'd be getting into. I have booted from USB without issue ( except the WIFI which is OK provided you can get an internet connection - I use my phone). Performance, mouse, screen all seem OK.

My only worry is battery life. There's so much info saying it will be worse. Having said that I find it gets worse with each OS upgrade anyway. No scientific basis for this just a feeling.

I'm sure at some time I will take the leap.
    Last edited by makouser; December 23rd, 2021 at 12:38 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12