Thread: Epson TM-U220 - Generic Text Only Printer

Beans

Epson TM-U220 - Generic Text Only Printer

Hello. I'm new on this forum so, if this question has been resolved in the past, I apologize for it.

Well, I have installed Linux Mint 20.2 XFCE (based on Ubuntu 20.04) on my PC. It works pretty well after some manual settings.

The problem I have is with the printer. I have installed an EPSON TM-U220 printer (POS Ticket - Dot Matrix Printer) using Epson drivers for linux.

Source of the drivers:
    https://download.epson-biz.com/modul...scat=32&pid=42

I could only make the version 1.0 to work, probably due to an incorrect uninstalling proccess before trying newer versions.

The thing is: the printer is working, it is recognized by the CUPS configuration process, but when I use the PPD file that came with the drivers (to configure the printer), the printer is only capable to print plain text as an image. The result: the text is not as clear as it should be, being printed from a txt file, because the printer applies too many points for every line of text.

This is a problem that I also had on Windows, so I've tried to configure the printer via "Generic Text Only" drivers. It worked on Windows. But I can not make it work on Linux.

After I configure the printer via CUPS (using Generic>Text Only Drivers), it simply does not print anything.

I've also tried using Generic>PostScript Drivers and the printer could print some text, as plain text, but it is some kind of script code mixed with the content of the TXT, what led me to think that this process printed all the coded instructions that were executed behind.

Could anyone teach me how to correctly set this printer, to print tickets as plain text?
    Last edited by adrianmd; August 7th, 2021 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Typing mistakes

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Epson TM-U220 - Generic Text Only Printer

Thread moved to Mint sub-forum.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Re: Epson TM-U220 - Generic Text Only Printer

https://i.ibb.co/KXkxXcj/Linux-Mint-Print-01.png

This is an example of a ticket printed using the driver provided by Epson.

The quality of the text is not as sharp as I would like.

This is an example of the plain text quality I'm looking for:

https://i.ibb.co/k52dSq2/Linux-Mint-Print-02.png

This ticket was printed using a wrong driver (post script generic), but It shows very well the type of printing I would like to get: one point per line and a much more faster printing proccess, since the printer does not pass by the same point many times.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; September 13th, 2021 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Huge images replaced by links