Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: broken network and comands orders in terminal ?!!

Beans

broken network and comands orders in terminal ?!!

Today after run my ubuntu 20.04 I have got as screenshot shown, there is no network connection appear ...
    And also the command in terminal does not work with sudo ... for example if I want to try and test update package list with (sudo apt update )It was take long time and nothing happens ..

I using live lcd right now !!
    any idea how to solve it ?!!
    Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fairbird; August 6th, 2021 at 07:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: broken network and comands orders in terminal ?!!

Can you boot into an earlier kernel - may be lucky?

Beans

The ubuntu booting normally with currently kernel.
    The problem not with bottling, with broken sudo (x) command in terminal such as (sudo apt update) nothing happens and no error message also shown to me.
    so I can not fix network from terminal.

Also if i do restart or shutdown. Take long time.
    Last edited by fairbird; August 6th, 2021 at 07:17 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fairbird View Post
    The ubuntu booting normally with currently kernel.
    The problem not with bottling, with broken sudo (x) command in terminal such as (sudo apt update) nothing happens and no error message also shown to me.
    so I can not fix network from terminal.

Also if i do restart or shutdown. Take long time.
    That wasn't the question.

At boot, there are options to choose which kernel is used. There should be 2 or 3 kernels in the list. By default, the latest gets used. Try an older kernel. This is called "troubleshooting."

Please report back on how that goes and whether networking works with the older kernel or not.

sudo is tied to networking, so attempting to use sudo requires multiple timeouts before stuff can happen, if the settings allow it. It is looking to match the hostname and DNS records to ensure sudo isn't being attacked. It is possible to configure sudo so that it doesn't work when networking isn't up. This is not the default. It should work, eventually, when networking is down.

Also, when testing keep track of which kernel works and which kernel doesn't work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As for other troubleshooting steps - we need for you to tell us some information about the network, system, network devices involved. "It doesn't work" is pretty limited.
    What card?
    Which drivers?
    Which kernel?
    Did the prior kernel, drivers work with the card?
    wifi or wired?
    Did anything change with the switches, routers, or wifi?
    Are you doing something crazy like using a cellular modem?

We need some information?
    Have you looked at the system log files?

You say you are posting here using a Live CD. Do you mean a "Try Ubuntu" setup? Is everything else the same? If it works on the same computer with the same hardware under a Try Ubuntu environment, that's good news. It is very unlikely the problem is hardware. It could be configuration, kernel, or driver, however.

Beans

Ok... Now I have boot from other kernel (5.8.0-63-generic) and every things work just fine.
    So the issue from latest version of kernel maybe (5.11.0-25-generic)

Thank you

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Whoa. You aren't running the latest LTS release? That would be a 5.4.x kernel and if you use the HWE, I think that's a 5.8 kernel.
    How can you have 5.11?

Beans

I don't know really ... Coming after latest update yesterday I think ..

Code:
    ~$ lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
    Release:    20.04
    Codename:    focal
    Code:
    ~$ dpkg --list | grep -i -E --color 'linux-image|linux-kernel' | grep '^ii'
    ii  linux-image-5.11.0-25-generic          5.11.0-25.27~20.04.1                       amd64        Signed kernel image generic
    ii  linux-image-5.4.0-80-generic           5.4.0-80.90                                amd64        Signed kernel image generic
    ii  linux-image-5.8.0-63-generic           5.8.0-63.71~20.04.1                        amd64        Signed kernel image generic
    ii  linux-image-generic                    5.4.0.80.84                                amd64        Generic Linux kernel image
    ii  linux-image-generic-hwe-20.04          5.11.0.25.27~20.04.10                      amd64        Generic Linux kernel image
    Code:
    ~$ v="$(uname -r | awk -F '-virtual' '{ print $1}')"~$ echo "$v"
    5.8.0-63-generic

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Why solved? Did you do something for the wifi driver to work in the newer kernel? Others would like to know.

I'm still confused by 3 different kernel line versions on the box. I've just never seen that before, unless someone went out of their way, specifically, to install a specific kernel.

New isn't always better. I always say, "new" is the enemy of "stable". As long as the kernel you have is working and it is a supported Ubuntu release, Canonical will patch any major issues and all security problems. There are people on 4.15 kernels still.

I forced all my 18.04 systems to the 5.4.x kernel because the plan is to move to a 20.04 release and already being on the correct kernel reduces the unknown risks (in my mind, if not reality). To do that, I specifically installed the HWE packages.

Beans

I have removed all kernel and just keep the version of (5.8.0-63-generic) ...
    I will wait for new kernel when release it then I will test it again ..

Thank you for your answers and interest ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast