Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: confused about SATA support levels

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: confused about SATA support levels

I have a 088DT1 88DT1. Most of my searches for its specs/manual just led back to very generic ones describing the Dell 3847 model it is in, not the mobo. Some sellers of the mobo list a few specs, but not SATA support levels.

The ata1, ata5 comments clarified my initial confusion about the "dmesg | grep SATA" command, which I thought would be listing info port by port.

Drive will arrive in a couple of days. My guess at this point is I will plug the SATA3 compliant mechanical HDD into port HDD2 with the ostensibly SATA2 cable and get pretty much the same performance as I get from the primary drive, which would be fine. This would only continue as an issue for me if the performance is markedly less.

Beans

It seems odd that a mobo would have various levels of support for different SATA slots (one is 6, one is 1.5?).
    No, it's not odd. The Intel H81 chipset supports two SATA 6Gbps and two SATA 3Gbps ports. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...ml#specs-1-0-5
    So it's extremely likely the ports labeled HDD are the 6's and the ports labeled ODD are the 3's.

However, if you have an optical drive connected, it will only link up at 1.5Gbps, because that is the maximum the drive is capable of (it is more than sufficient for optical drives, so manufacturers don't bother with higher SATA specs):
    Code:
    ata5: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps
    If you plug a hard disk into the ODD slot, it should run at 3Gbps.
    Last edited by Yellow Pasque; August 10th, 2021 at 04:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks, @Yellow Pasque. Between misunderstanding the DMESG command, the differing support levels, cable marketing gimmicks, misinformation from youtube videos, controllers vs. connecting slots, AHCI vs. UDMA, ACPI vs. native drivers, bottlenecks etc. it was a very muddy picture for an old n00b like me, but it is mostly clear now.

Beans

No problem. dmesg output can be very confusing. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12