Thread: Computers don't start after last upgrade

Beans

Computers don't start after last upgrade

I have 6 PCs with Nvidia Quadro NVS 295 and I performed upgrade on all of them on Monday. Since then they are all dead. I tried to reinstall system, but the same effect. The problem is in Nvidia driver 340. It doesn't work with the newest kernel. Everything works perfectly fine if the driver is generic. When I install a property driver it crashes. If I update a system with driver 340 - the same effect. Computers do not reboot. They work perfectly fine with the same driver and previous kernel.

Can anybody know what to do with that problem? Any advice?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Computers don't start after last upgrade

I am here now....

First do and post the results of
    Code:
    uname -r
    lsb_release -a
    lshw -C video
    apt-cache show ubuntu-drivers-common
    apt-cache show nvideo-340
    Please post the results within tags like this: [code] any_output_text [/code]
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; August 5th, 2021 at 10:46 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mippi View Post
    I have 6 PCs with Nvidia Quadro NVS 295 and I performed upgrade on all of them on Monday. Since then they are all dead. I tried to reinstall system, but the same effect. The problem is in Nvidia driver 340. It doesn't work with the newest kernel. Everything works perfectly fine if the driver is generic. When I install a property driver it crashes. If I update a system with driver 340 - the same effect. Computers do not reboot. They work perfectly fine with the same driver and previous kernel.

Can anybody know what to do with that problem? Any advice?
    I do not have any advice, just a me-too. My two older Zotacs use the NV 340.108 driver and both are having the same issue as you. After the latest update they boot fine but don't display video, just a blank black screen with a randomly blinking cursor. They're headless but I got into both with ssh in order to uninstall the NV driver and now both boot normally but just use the Nuveau default driver. Unfortunately I can't use either computer like this (no NV driver). Afterward, I tried installing the NV driver with Software-Updater but then received this warning after a few minutes:

Error while applying changes
    pk-client-error-quark: Error while installing package: installed nvidia-340 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 10(313)
    OK

I'm hoping the kernel guys discover their error and do something about it.

Beans

So if it is a kernel problem can you boot into the old kernel (hit esc at boot, and choose advanced option then choose the previous kernel) and then delete the new one?

Beans

Yes, I could always revert but since they are headless and inconveniently placed it's a pain to attach a keyboard. And since they are (relatively) unimportant I can wait to see if there's another kernel update coming soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I too have a problem with the latest kernel.
    It doesn't seems to recognize my SD card reader and as my home directory is on a SD card I cannot boot.
    Same thing on at least 2 computers.
    Previous kernels and low latency one are OK
    Happy user of Ubuntu-20.04 on a Beelink BT3pro mini PC

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You still have not provided any of the info asked for in Post #2... Which would give information related to the what and why not's... Just saying more information needed.

In the past, (being an avid NVidia user over the past 20 years) when a Kernel updated there were some problems with NVidia drivers. Mostly because the proprietary dirver binaries needed to be recompiled with the current kernel. Since then, it now has scripts so that things get reconpiled with DKMS during a Kernel update... Although sometimes...

Like I said, just trying to help.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

It appears there really is an issue with the latest kernel upgrade and the nvidia 340 driver. I submitted my issue to Launchpad and it was confirmed and turned in a duplicate of a case that affects 45 other people.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...0/+bug/1938978

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Very good to know. Now I can follow that and see that how goes...

Thank you very much for posting that.