Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cannot create a file in /home directory

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Cannot create a file in /home directory

Since this whole thing started because VeraCrypt complained it couldn't write a lock file in my home directory, I've decided to uninstall Veracrypt as being untrustworthy and VERY cumbersome to use. It also began mounting my encrypted directory as read-only which really killed the deal. I needed it to be R/W. Doesn't do me much good if I can't write into it or alter files.

All this obviates me from having to solve this particular dilemma right now. I am a Linux user, and have been since Ubuntu 12.01, but I don't deep-dive into the system all that much. I tend to use GUIs instead of command lines. it worked for DOS, but not for me in Linux.

I am not sure exactly what an ACL is, however I've found a forum thread on another site that describes how to remove the "+" from the file attributes. I'm going to leave everything as it is right now. I really appreciate all the time and effort you've put into this problem, Fu. Thank you a lot.

I'm going to mark this as 'solved' even though it really isn't. Is that a good idea or not?

Bill
    Been in computers since 1962; Windows computers almost gone now. Only 1 gaming machine left.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Is sdc not partitioned?
    /dev/sdc fuseblk 1953514580 1484672 1952029908 1% /media/bill/Big_U

Systems often have issues with drives not following standard partitioning.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Big_U is a large (1Tb) drive I added when I still booted up into Win 7. I didn't change anything and now it mounts as sdc. I can use it just fine, R/W in any directory.

Bill
    Been in computers since 1962; Windows computers almost gone now. Only 1 gaming machine left.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by WB0HYQ View Post
    Since this whole thing started because VeraCrypt complained it couldn't write a lock file in my home directory, I've decided to uninstall Veracrypt as being untrustworthy and VERY cumbersome to use. l
    We are 31 posts into this and this is the first mention of Veracrypt!!! Way to bury perhaps the most important information.

Good day and good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As I mentioned quite a few posts back, this is happening on every one of my Linux installs on four different computers. It has nothing to do with VeraCrypt, which in only installed on ONE of my computers. I'm sorry if it offended you.

Bill

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234