Thread: Small Accessibility Problem: Is there a way to give my mouse cursor a custom color?

Beans

Question Small Accessibility Problem: Is there a way to give my mouse cursor a custom color?

Hi,

So I am currently running Ubuntu 21.04 using GNOME.

So in the settings the only customization I was able to do was change the my mouse size, which does help, but I want to be able to change the color as well

Looking online with a search engine, all of the results just talk about changing the size despite explicitly asking about changing the color.

Some results mentioned using GNOME-tweaks to further customize mouse settings, but there is nothing there about changing the color of the mouse. At most I see options to change to different mouse icons. There was no way to add new icons via the tweaks gui, and I have no knowledge on where that would be located via CLI

Any help on this matter would be appreciated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Small Accessibility Problem: Is there a way to give my mouse cursor a custom colo

You could try a different mouse cursor theme, e.g. one that is more colorful?

https://www.gnome-look.org/browse?cat=107

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Small Accessibility Problem: Is there a way to give my mouse cursor a custom colo

If you prefer getting one from the official repositories, then this one might be for you:

Code:
    sudo apt install oxygen-cursor-theme-extra
    The "oxygen-cursor-theme-extra" package contains many colorful variations of the "Oxygen" cursor theme as the name suggests. Once this package is installed you should be able to select a suitable one from e.g. Gnome Tweaks.

Beans

To change just the color, you use Gimp.
    Open the cursor file for the cursor to be recolored from the cursor folder inside the cursor's theme foder, for example left_ptr.
    Recolor. You can use fill tool, and then some pixel level touch-up.
    Export as "X11 mouse cursor" (.xcm file).
    Rename the .xcm file the same as the original file.
    Replace the original file.

Before starting, I suggest you save the originals in case you want to restore them.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by scorp123 View Post
    You could try a different mouse cursor theme, e.g. one that is more colorful?

https://www.gnome-look.org/browse?cat=107
    I may look into to this, and see if any one pops out to me. I will also download that package and see what they offer

I might go with the other's poster more manual solution since I do like the default mouse style. I just want it a different color.

Though changing the color should be a pretty simple process for DE. I am still a novice when it comes to programming and more focused on full stack web dev, but maybe I can try to work on a solution my self. Whose repository would I have to raise an issue on the github? My initial thought is GNOME since I think this with the DE settings.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    To change just the color, you use Gimp.
    Open the cursor file for the cursor to be recolored from the cursor folder inside the cursor's theme foder, for example left_ptr.
    Recolor. You can use fill tool, and then some pixel level touch-up.
    Export as "X11 mouse cursor" (.xcm file).
    Rename the .xcm file the same as the original file.
    Replace the original file.

Before starting, I suggest you save the originals in case you want to restore them.
    Thanks for the detailed guide!! Though I feel like there should be some programmatic way of doing this. How monumental of a task would be to go into GNOME's code? This should just be a setting in the GUI

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by themrshadyslim View Post
    Thanks for the detailed guide!! Though I feel like there should be some programmatic way of doing this. How monumental of a task would be to go into GNOME's code? This should just be a setting in the GUI
    Well, it doesn't take long to change just the major cursors: left pointer, hand (over links), grab. These 3 are all I did. Also, I've only done this with non-resizable cursors (one size only).

You can also make animated cursors with a utility called xcursorgen. For example, you can make a blinking cursor (2 switching colors) that's easily located on the screen. This thread deals with this in part:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2384798

The image attached to post #8 shows two images used that alternate to create the illusion of blinking.