Thread: Installing Linux from Windows Pirated Version....

Beans

Installing Linux from Windows Pirated Version....

Hi

My question is that I was using Pirated version of windows 7 which I do not know so I migrated to Linux OS now from installing .ISO File and made usb bootable via refus the thing is I migrated to Linux via windows 7 pirated version so most of the people says using pirated versions may have maleware and viruses and it automatically save in files and folders so iso file also infected or installing Linux from pirated version is also something illegal for not virus free....

it is very confusing can someone please answer and help

Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Installing Linux from Windows Pirated Version....

Nothing in life is certain, but I am very confident that a Windows virus cannot infect a Linux program. By installing from an .iso image you severed all connection with Windows. Having possession of a pirated version of Windows 7 might be illegal, but nobody is going to care.

Beans

Having possession of a pirated version of Windows 7 might be illegal, but nobody is going to care.
    I expect microsoft will although I doubt they would do much about one user but they may care about the source of the download and go after them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ISO files are read-only. Additionally, you can validate the ISO file is cryptographic correct using the sha256sum program. Modifying an ISO them means pulling the files out, "re-mastering" with any desired changes, modifying the sha256sums (which could be held inside the ISO too), then placing the ISO and sha256sum data onto a reputable server where you download the files and binary copy them to flash or optical media for installation.

In short, the risks are tiny. You can check that the ISO file on your flash drive is correct on the freshly installed OS if you are paranoid. Or use someone else's computer to validate it.

If you think some govt spy agency is after you, then definitely do the extra work and validate the ISO on a different computer. I've never felt that at risk, but I'm not doing things that any govt considers too dangerous to their rule. If I was a pro-democracy person living in Hong Kong or almost anyone in Myanmar, then things would be very different. I'd be paranoid and cautious. When I was working in a Tibetan monastery across the alley from a Chinese listening campus, my paranoia level was much higher. For that situation, it was required and reasonable.

Nobody here can speak for what MSFT will or will not do. I have little doubt they would do anything. I also doubt that rufus running on a pirated version of ANY OS would modify data written on the fly. It would be next to impossible to get away with that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Given that you were using a pirated OS, we will not be providing any further support. Use a licensed and legitimate installation of Windows and start over from the beginning. We cannot say what dangers may be present in a pirated version.

We do not support piracy, violations of EULAs or violations of ToS.

Closed.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.