Thread: Force separate per user settings for VPN program?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question Force separate per user settings for VPN program?

I have installed Mullvad VPN on Ubuntu 20.04 and noticed that settings are shared across user accounts. I have gone so far as to delete the Mullvad VPN dir in ~/.config/ of the offending account but on reboot I observe the same issue.

Is there some way to force a program to use different settings for each user, and is it not strange it shares the settings by default?
    Last edited by Dáire Fagan; August 3rd, 2021 at 11:11 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Force separate per user settings for VPN program?

On Unix systems, networking is shared system-wide, so this is NOT unusual. Routing tables are system-wide and every VPN that I've seen does something with the routing tables to enable the VPN.

I'm not saying it isn't possible to have per-user setups, iptables does have per-user rule capabilities, but those are almost never used.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Arrow Re: Force separate per user settings for VPN program?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    On Unix systems, networking is shared system-wide, so this is NOT unusual. Routing tables are system-wide and every VPN that I've seen does something with the routing tables to enable the VPN.

I'm not saying it isn't possible to have per-user setups, iptables does have per-user rule capabilities, but those are almost never used.
    From my brief experience with Nord VPN I think their program may have isolated the settings some how but I cancelled my account so I cannot confirm this.

Today I tried a few different things:

With
    Code:
    crontab -u <username> -e
    for each user I added a single line from the following unique to each:

Code:
    @reboot mullvad relay set location ie dub
    @reboot mullvad relay set location uk lon[
    but both users, even with different crontabs, still connected to the same VPN.

Next I created this script:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

if [ "$(logname)" = "<username>" ]; then
            mullvad relay set location gb lon
    else
            mullvad relay set location ie dub
    fi
    Made executable with:

Code:
    chmod u+x /usr/localbin/mullvadrelay.sh
    The script itself works when run manually.

I tried getting this to run on login by creating /etc/rc.local and setting it to read:

Code:
    /usr/localbin/mullvadrelay.sh
    but this did not work.

I next edited /etc/bash.barshrc to include the code from the body of the script but discovered this only runs when I open a terminal.

Currently I have the following added to the end of /etc/profile:

Code:
    if [ "$(logname)" = "<username>" ]; then
            mullvad disconnect && mullvad relay set location gb uk && mullvad connect
    else
            mullvad disconnect && mullvad relay set location ie dub && mullvad connect
    fi
    The disconnect and connect were initially outside of the if block but did not function properly. They are not entirely necessary but using this connect instead of the Mullvad program's autoconnect prevents duplicate notifications, and it seems cleaner and a good precaution to put a disconnect in place before changing servers.

This works unless I switch to one user and then back to the first, rather than logging out and in, so in dconf to prevent switching I have set:

Code:
    disable-user-switching true 
    user-switch-enabled false
    If there was an option to keep the VPN settings isolated to each user I would prefer to keep the switch functionality but only if I could be certain one account would not leak the connection from one account to the other before being resumed, e.g a website on user1 is connected to a website with VPN1 but while switched to another user, or at some point when resuming user1 requests are sent using VPN2.

This setup works but I think I must have something wrong as now sometimes when I login my gnome extensions are disabled and I have to turn the parent extension switch on in settings manually. Is there a fix to my solution for the extension issue, or a better way to use a different VPN on each user?
    Last edited by Dáire Fagan; August 4th, 2021 at 05:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Force separate per user settings for VPN program?

I strongly suspect when you have 2 VPNs that appear to work concurrently, what is really happening is that 1 VPN is being tunneled inside another VPN. You can check this using traceroute. The 2nd VPN will show connectivity going through the first VPN, then going to the exit location.

Trying to modify system profiles (profile and bashrc) in /etc/ isn't a good idea.

I think the only way you'll get this working is to use iptables to control the specific routing to/from each exit node using the "-m owner" option. This is non-trivial network stuff. https://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/block...-iptables.html is for a different need, but shows the -m owner option being used.

https://searchnetworking.techtarget....simultaneously is worth reading. It doesn't have specific commands, just ideas for consideration as you manually setup the connections. Almost all consumer VPNs use openvpn, which means we don't need to use any specific client provided by the service. We can often control whether split tunneling is allowed. In a corporate environment, organizations that care about security never setup VPNs that allow split tunnels, so that is something else to consider.