Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newby Needs Help Mounting HDD

Beans

Re: Newby Needs Help Mounting HDD

Thank you for your help:

oem@M4:~$ ls -al /mnt/
    total 8
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jul 3 08:24 .
    drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 4096 Jul 28 14:01 ..
    oem@M4:~$ #or added
    oem@M4:~$ ls -al /media/
    total 16
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Jul 31 19:15 .
    drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 4096 Jul 28 14:01 ..
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jul 31 19:15 FILES
    drwxr-x---+ 2 root root 4096 Jul 31 17:54 oem

oem@M4:~$ who
    oem tty7 2021-07-31 17:54 (:0)
    oem@M4:~$ id
    uid=29999(oem) gid=29999(oem) groups=29999(oem),4(adm),27(sudo),30(dip),46(plugd ev),114(lpadmin),134(sambashare)

sudo chown OEM:OEM /mnt/DataDisk/
    [sudo] password for oem:
    chown: invalid user: ‘OEM:OEM’

Beans

Code:
    sudo chown OEM:OEM /mnt/DataDisk/
    [sudo] password for oem:
    chown: invalid user: ‘OEM:OEM’
    What's wrong here is that Linux is case sensitive. You can't switch capital with lower case letters. So the command should be:
    Code:
    sudo chown -R oem:oem /mnt/DataDisk
    I added the -R here just in case you rebooted before doing this command. It's ok to add the -R in any case.
    I hope it all works now.

(The user number 29999 shown by id command for the current user is a bit strange to me. Usually, this is 1000 for the current human user and lower numbers for system uses.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Code:
    UUID=f686a8ce-3094-4b46-b497-b8ee883ba951 /mnt/DataDisk ext4 defaults 0 2
    isn't a command. It is a line to add to the fstab file. Use the sudoedit command to modify system config files like the fstab. I didn't check that the UUID was correct.

If you need a temporary mount and don't want to modify the fstab, then you could use this command:
    Code:
    sudo mount  UUID=f686a8ce-3094-4b46-b497-b8ee883ba951 /mnt/DataDisk
    /mnt is perfect for temporary mount locations according to the standards. For permanent mounts, it isn't a good place - again - according to the standards. But it is your system and you can mount storage anywhere you like.

The mount assumes that a file system has been laid down on the partition/UUID and that it can be figured out by the mount command.

Also, if there are 5 steps in a process, you should stop when the first step fails. DO NOT CONTINUE!!! That's a good way to trash a system.

There is some basic knowledge lacking. We all started out that way. Take a look at : http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php which builds knowledge and skills in the most efficient order, so you waste the least amount of time overall. Unix/Linux administration isn't like Windows. Skills build on prior skills. It is best NOT to skip over the early skills or mistakes will happen later, sometimes those mistakes will be tragic.

OEM@M4:OEM@M4 is supposed to be the USER:GROUP.
    OEM is the user @M4 is the hostname, so that shouldn't be used in any chown/chmod command, ever. Also, both of those (hostname and username) really should be lowercase to avoid future problems. In theory, it shouldn't matter, but sometimes it does.

BTW, your OS drive is using something called LVM. This is a nice volume manager, but it doesn't work the same way that direct partition flie systems work. LVM is much more flexible, at the cost of some complexity. If you ever need help with LVM stuff, be certain you mention that so someone with the right knowledge can answer.

LVM + encryption is another skillset. Mention both, if those are being used. Also, make 100% certain you have excellent backups. Should anything go wrong, restoring from backups is usually the only answer for encrypted storage. You've been warned. BTW, I use LVM+LUKS encrypted storage on my laptops. It's a security consideration for me.

Beans

oem@M4:~$ sudo chown -R oemem /mnt/DataDisk
    [sudo] password for oem:
    chown: cannot access '/mnt/DataDisk': No such file or directory
    oem@M4:~$

No such file or directory, command line not valid, see this too many times.
    Thanks for your input.

Like i mentioned in the first post, I want the drive to be mounted in the proper place, load on boot up. Temp mount does me no good.
    When i did the initial install somehow it was a OEM install meant to be handed over to a end user, i had no idea.
    I tried adding a new user, but then rebooting lost all my settings, so i gave that up.

Can i get a step by step for editing the fstap to make this system correct?

Beans

The temp mount command did not work, i tried your UUID and the actual one:

em@M4:~$ sudo mount UUID=f686a8ce-3094-4b46-b497-b8ee883ba951 /mnt/DataDisk
    mount: /mnt/DataDisk: can't find UUID=f686a8ce-3094-4b46-b497-b8ee883ba951.
    oem@M4:~$ sudo mount UUID=15e2d829-2450-4d9a-a4a4-2193dbe97a83 /mnt/DataDisk
    mount: /mnt/DataDisk: mount point does not exist.

Terminal and code is not my thing, obviously, but i've been pasting code for a day and half and it gets me nowhere...
    so frustrating

Does the terminal need to be in "root" for any of this to work?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

emmy54linux - I wrote this for a reason:
    There is some basic knowledge lacking. We all started out that way. Take a look at : http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php which builds knowledge and skills in the most efficient order, so you waste the least amount of time overall.
    There problems you are having are due to a lack of basic knowledge. I provided a link to gain that knowledge. Pasting code will never work without the understanding, since your system is a little different, you'll need to understand what needs to be modified for it.

This error is a little obtuse, if you've never seen it before:
    mount: /mnt/DataDisk: mount point does not exist.
    The fix is to create the mount point. A mount point is just an empty directory. Then try the mount command using the correct UUID. That will get it mounted, then use a chown command already provided to give your userid ownership of the newly mounted storage. Bob's your uncle.

In ubuntu, you never need to be in "root" ... whatever that means .... to do anything. You only need basic Unix/Linux knowledge. Heck, much of the knowledge applies to MS-Windows too. For example, the idea of relative and absolute directories is the same on Windows, Unix, Linux, OSX, Android, and every other popular OS in the world today. But somehow people using Windows never gain that skill. Windows programmers know it.

You're probably getting even more frustrated now. Why can't someone just tell you what to type? It is because there are tiny little issues that will happen because we are human and those tiny little issues take us 2 seconds to see and fix. Because we've gained that basic knowledge ourselves.

I have to ask, what's the difference between the em and oem userids above? Linux is multi-user from the ground up, so the userid used for every command runs in a slightly different way with a slightly different result.

The more you learn, the less frustrating it will all be. You should see how frustrated I get on Windows and OSX computers. Back when I owned a Mac, I wanted to throw it against the wall many times, it was that frustrating to me. Ended up giving it away to a coworker after just a few weeks.

Beans

I'm working my way thru the PDF, it is helpful, thank you.
    Let me ask you, going to Accessories~ Disks, I selected the gear icon and chose "Edit mount options"

It says for mount point: /mnt/15e2d829-2450-4d9a-a4a4-2193dbe97a83

would changing this to:

/boot/15e2d829-2450-4d9a-a4a4-2193dbe97a83

work?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....9#post14048909 has some tips about mounting storage along with "why" and "what" and "where". It pushes the "LABEL" method, since that skips all the UUID junk, which can be confusing. UUIDs are just meant to be unique identifiers. Nothing more. There's nothing special about them. A UUID can be generated for almost anything. Computers like unique, but random alphanumeric strings aren't exactly human friendly.

I'd written a few other things, but the forum software validation is still broken. It has been since the upgrade a few weeks ago. Sorry.

Don't mount random data under /boot/, ok? Bad idea, even if it is possible. There are standards for where storage belongs. "Linux File System Hierarchy Standards" - google that. There is a table and that contains all you need to know.

Beans

Thank you.
    The "Media" dir seems to be for "removable" media,
    I've been looking at so much shell code my eyes are going blurry. How do I move this drive to a mount point where it shows up all the time as a permanent drive?

Thanks.

Beans

I think I got it now:

make dir:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/files

in root do : touch /etc/fstab
    And then in Disk utility change mount point to add and then reboot and now it start mounting …

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast