Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20.04.2 system upgraded working Nvidia drivers 465 to 470 that get package errors

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

20.04.2 system upgraded working Nvidia drivers 465 to 470 that get package errors

Greetings,

My system decided to try to upgrade from Nvidia 465 to Nvidia 470 drivers. The 470 packages fail to install properly.

I needed to purge all *nvidia* packages off my system, drop back to the generic driver.

It seems to have a defect report started here...
    package nvidia-dkms-470 (not installed) failed to install/upgrade: installed nvidia-dkms-470 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 10
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1937128

Looks like the transition from nvidia 365 to 470 left some things not updated, perhaps:

#syslog entries
    Jul 31 10:51:25 jaakob kernel: [2170748.708122] NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 470.57.02, but
    Jul 31 10:51:25 jaakob kernel: [2170748.708122] NVRM: this kernel module has the version 465.27. Please
    Jul 31 10:51:25 jaakob kernel: [2170748.708122] NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
    Jul 31 10:51:25 jaakob kernel: [2170748.708122] NVRM: components have the same version.

How best to get assistance in recovering from the upgrade damage? I am thinking to try to fall back to the 460 version. The 465 package seems to now be a meta package pointed at version 470.

Please advise.

I am thankful,
    Michael Lueck

Beans

Re: 20.04.2 system upgraded working Nvidia drivers 465 to 470 that get package errors

Something went wrong during the driver removal. Try this page:
    https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu...ers-on-ubuntu/

Then, if all goes right, choose 470 in 'Additional Drivers' when you log back in.' I've had your issue before - if parts of one driver are installed and parts of another is also installed, there's a 'mismatch.'

P.S. next time, list or mention your specific hardware - laptop or desktop card.

Beans
    Distro

Re: 20.04.2 system upgraded working Nvidia drivers 465 to 470 that get package errors

Greetings linuux,

Yes, the link suggestion is basically what I ended up doing to remove the Nvidia binary drivers.

I am unable to install cleanly either the 460 or 470 drivers. So I am running on the "X.org X server Nouveau" driver.

The video card in this impacted system is a:
    EVGA GeForce GT 1030 SC Passive Low Profile 02G-P4-6332-KR Graphics Card

Also impacted is the drivers to run VirtualBox. I used the PUEL version.

I even booted back to the prior kernel version, and VirtualBox still is broken there.

Not updating the kernel or Nvidia drivers on my other machine!

So might be actually the Kernel update, not the Nvidia binary update.

The other system I have not updated the 5.8.0-59-generic kernel on still successfully runs VirtualBox. This system I applied the 5.8.0-63-generic kernel to has both the nvidia driver issue and no longer will run VirtualBox. I will not update the kernel on that still working system.

I am thankful,
    Michael Lueck

Beans

How did you upgrade the kernel? My guess is that the nvidia driver upgrade doesn't match the kernel upgrade - meaning the kernel modules/headers/images doesn't match with the Nvidia modules - how they are supposed to. Plus, maybe the 465 files weren't completely purged. What output do you have and what is left of the nvidia files?

Run this:
    $ uname -r
    Is it: 5.8.0-63-generic

I don't see why you couldn't try Nvidia 470 now. Have you tried to install it via 'Additional Drivers?' I don't have Ubuntu installed on my computer yet. I am waiting until I can get a SSD first.

I am looking at buying a GT 1030 myself, except the LP, Single Slot ones with a fan - since those are the only versions which fit in my computer. I'd be better help if I had that. Maybe someone else with similar hardware will reply here soon.

P.S. Ultimately, you want to fix the issue. I don't think you want to be confined to using Nouveau drivers. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the step process should be upgrading the kernel first and then the Nvidia driver. That way, when the Nvidia driver is upgraded, it will use the new kernel modules.

But, first, you need to purge/remove any older Nvidia driver....so, for example:
    1) purge/remove nvidia 465 (use CLI - aka use console or terminal commands to completely remove and purge any nvidia 465 files)
    2) upgrade linux kernel (don't delete the previous/older kernel just in case - you will have the option to boot either from grub)
    3) install nvidia 470

I think I have that order right. I guess someone will correct me if there's an error or mistake there.
    Last edited by linuux; August 4th, 2021 at 03:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by linuux View Post
    How did you upgrade the kernel?
    Same way all updates.... received the update notification, exited it, opened Synaptic, and applied the needed updates with that tool.

My guess is that the nvidia driver upgrade doesn't match the kernel upgrade - meaning the kernel modules/headers/images doesn't match with the Nvidia modules - how they are supposed to.
    So that automatic update replaced nvidia 465 drivers with nvidia 470 drivers. Now the nvidia 465 package seems to be a pointer to the nvidia 470 package.

Plus, maybe the 465 files weren't completely purged. What output do you have and what is left of the nvidia files?

Too late. I switched to the OSS/FS drivers as I was ending up with very low resolution graphics.

P.S. Ultimately, you want to fix the issue. I don't think you want to be confined to using Nouveau drivers.

I would like to very much get nvidia working again.... continues to protest that memories from the 465 drivers are conflicting with 470 drivers when I try the 470. So purged everything nvidia related, and back to the OSS/FS driver.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the step process should be upgrading the kernel first and then the Nvidia driver. That way, when the Nvidia driver is upgraded, it will use the new kernel modules.

But, first, you need to purge/remove any older Nvidia driver....so, for example:
    1) purge/remove nvidia 465 (use CLI - aka use console or terminal commands to completely remove and purge any nvidia 465 files)
    2) upgrade linux kernel (don't delete the previous/older kernel just in case - you will have the option to boot either from grub)
    3) install nvidia 470

I think I have that order right. I guess someone will correct me if there's an error or mistake there.
    That is what I have done.

The update of Kernel and nvidia 470 drivers also killed my VirtualBox kernel drivers.

Something about the forced upgrade of nvidia 465 to nvidia 470 and the kernel update really went wrong.

I am thankful,
    Michael Lueck

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mdlueck View Post
    The update of Kernel and nvidia 470 drivers also killed my VirtualBox kernel drivers.

Something about the forced upgrade of nvidia 465 to nvidia 470 and the kernel update really went wrong.
    Here is the results of purging off VirtualBox, IPL, then reinstalling the latest package of VirtualBox again....

Code:
    $ sudo dpkg -i virtualbox-6.1_6.1.26-145957~Ubuntu~eoan_amd64.deb 
    Selecting previously unselected package virtualbox-6.1.
    (Reading database ... 258128 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack virtualbox-6.1_6.1.26-145957~Ubuntu~eoan_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking virtualbox-6.1 (6.1.26-145957~Ubuntu~eoan) ...
    Setting up virtualbox-6.1 (6.1.26-145957~Ubuntu~eoan) ...
    addgroup: The group `vboxusers' already exists as a system group. Exiting.
    This system is currently not set up to build kernel modules.
    Please install the gcc make perl packages from your distribution.
    This system is currently not set up to build kernel modules.
    Please install the gcc make perl packages from your distribution.

There were problems setting up VirtualBox.  To re-start the set-up process, run
      /sbin/vboxconfig
    as root.  If your system is using EFI Secure Boot you may need to sign the
    kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load
    them. Please see your Linux system's documentation for more information.
    Processing triggers for systemd (245.4-4ubuntu3.11) ...
    Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.36.0-1ubuntu1) ...
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.24-1ubuntu3) ...
    Processing triggers for mime-support (3.64ubuntu1) ...
    Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) ...
    Processing triggers for shared-mime-info (1.15-1) ...
    Something in either/both the nvidia 465 to nvidia 470 or the latest kernel update killed both that each require interacting with the Kernel.

Suggestions how to alert the correct group within Ubuntu?

I am thankful,
    Michael Lueck

Beans

It looks like you're using the 'downloaded version' instead of the package version. I'm not sure how much help I can give with no Linux/Ubuntu OS installed on my end.

But, I think I can take an educated guess how to fix the missing package. This link here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1035...lation-problem

The 'gcc make perl' package seems to be missing. Try these commands:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc make perl dkms
    reboot

Beans
    Distro

sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc make perl dkms
    Indeed, now the VirtualBox package completes and works again. Thanks!
    VB was perfectly content before without those additional packages. Very weird!

Onto retrying nvidia 470....

I am thankful,
    Michael Lueck

Beans
    Distro

Strainge..... now the nvidia 470 drivers cleanly install and finally work.

I have not yet purged off the prior kernel.... rather "left everything alone how Synaptic updated the system" and left me without nvidia graphics and VirtualBox.

So all of a sudden along comes a transition up to the nvidia 470 drivers, and new kernel build... I then have to add packages to keep VirtualBox working, and the umpteenth try to cleanly install the nvidia 470 drivers finally work. Odd indeed.

I appreciate your suggestions very much!
    Michael Lueck

Beans
    Distro

I got daring and also updated my laptop. Yes, I needed to purge off VirtualBox, reinstall it. After all the updates and purge / reinstall, VirtualBox resumed working.

Just applying the patches, IPL, that left VirtualBox again dead like on my desktop computer.

Very odd that it would be necessary to purge off, then reinstall certain packages that have driver updates to the kernel in order to get through an upgrade.

Any ideas what went wrong this time as opposed to many kernel updates that did not inflict such damage?

I am thankful,
    Michael Lueck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast