Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: downgrading qemu on Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

downgrading qemu on Ubuntu 18.04

I believe I was previously running the following version of qemu before the most recent upgrade 2 weeks ago::
    qemu 1:2.11+dfsg-1ubuntu7.36 (Accepted)2/22/21, 8:28 A

On 7/15/21 I installed the following update:
    ubuntu/bionic-updates] qemu 1:2.11+dfsg-1ubuntu7.37 (Accepted) 7/15/21

This update appears to have broken something and I am having problems with all of my VM's hanging.
    I would like to downgrade, but the older version of qemu does not appear to be available in the repository:, possibly because the .37
    version was issued twice (as indicated in the bionic-changes list)

Code:
    t# aptitude versions qemu
    Package qemu:                              
    p   1:2.11+dfsg-1ubuntu7                          bionic                    500 
    p   1:2.11+dfsg-1ubuntu7.37                       bionic-security           500 

Package qemu:i386:
    p   1:2.11+dfsg-1ubuntu7                          bionic                    500 
    p   1:2.11+dfsg-1ubuntu7.37                       bionic-security           500
    How can I downgrade qemu to the 7.36 version?

Thank You,
    Natu
    Last edited by nataraj88; July 31st, 2021 at 09:23 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: downgrading qemu on Ubuntu 18.04

Please go back and edit your first post and wrap your output with these tags: [ c o d e ] Output_Text [ / c o d e ] ...
    ...Without the extra spaces I added there to display that to you as an example.

First, take a backup of where it is at now... Before you start making changes, so you have a fallback point.

Then... Please consider making the Canonical/Ubuntu system work for all of us, by reporting that update as a Bug to Launchpad. As a user of Qemu/KVM, that helps all of us.

If for some reason, you can't, or you have a requirement that prevents you from that... Then, well, I understand.

The missing info I see... Well, let me startup my other computer and spin up an 18.04 nested Qemu/KVM Server VM so I can look at it... BRB in another post. Right now, on this machine, I'm on Arm64 and a different release.

So I can look without chasing ghosts, you didn't mention kvm or libvirt, and you are on 18.04... Is your host 64bit or 32bit?

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

libvirt was not updated during the time frame when the problem began for me (based on checking the bionic-changes list). I should have mentioned kvm which includes at least linux-kvm and linux-meta-kvm. Is there an easy way to downgrade an umbrella package like linux-meta-kvm?

Beans

Oh yes, my host and VMs are all 64 bit.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

But you installed the package qemu-kvm right?

If I go to an instance of Ubuntu server 18.04 LTS and look at
    Code:
    apt policy qemu
    I do not see the package qemu as being installed in a normal install of qemu-kvm...

Now if I look at
    Code:
    apt poilcy qemu-kvm
    Now... That shows up as being that version currently... Could you please do that and check?

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

curious about what the update broke im your VM Guests?]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

curious about what the update broke im your VM Guests?]

Beans

qemu is just a metapackage so it's non-functional except to perhaps install something else. The description even says you can remove it. Your problem lies somewhere else.

Why not delete qemu, and upgrade 18.04 to 20.04 and get newer packages? It may fix your problem as well.

Beans

You are correct in that neither qemu nor kvm are installed separately.
    Code:
     $ apt policy qemu kvm qemu-kvm linux-kvm
    qemu:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 1:2.11+dfsg-1ubuntu7.37
      Version table:
         1:2.11+dfsg-1ubuntu7.37 500
            500 http://mirrors.namecheap.com/ubuntu bionic-security/universe amd64 Packages
         1:2.11+dfsg-1ubuntu7 500
            500 http://mirrors.namecheap.com/ubuntu bionic/universe amd64 Packages
    kvm:
      Candidate: (none)
      Version table:
    qemu-kvm:
      Installed: 1:2.11+dfsg-1ubuntu7.37
      Candidate: 1:2.11+dfsg-1ubuntu7.37
      Version table:
     *** 1:2.11+dfsg-1ubuntu7.37 500
            500 http://mirrors.namecheap.com/ubuntu bionic-security/main amd64 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    linux-kvm:
      Candidate: 4.15.0.1097.93
      Version table:
         4.15.0.1097.93 500
            500 http://mirrors.namecheap.com/ubuntu bionic-security/main amd64 Packages
    I got these package names from the bionic-changes list. So the package linux-kvm is actually installed and was last updated on 7/5 and again on 7/20, so that would make this package my first suspect.
    Last edited by nataraj88; August 1st, 2021 at 01:54 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I do not see a path backwards, only current and forward... 7.36 does not exist in any of the repo's anymore...

Now... What rpoblems are you having with your guest?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast