Thread: I need help installing vmware tools from my host ubuntu OS

Beans

Question I need help installing vmware tools from my host ubuntu OS

google didnt help so if anyone can help me find a way to install vmware tools on ubuntu for my windows xp VM that'd be nice.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: I need help installing vmware tools from my host ubuntu OS

The VMPlayer docs say it cannot be installed straight from the host, but through the player...
    VMware Tools is not bundled with VMware Player and cannot be downloaded separately. It must be downloaded from within VMware Player, as part of the Tools installation process.
    Prerequisite: Your VM Guest needs to have a working network connection

To install VMware Tools in VMware Player:

1. Power on the virtual machine.
    2. Log in to the virtual machine using an account with Administrator or root privileges.
    3. Wait for the desktop to load and be ready.
    4. Click Virtual Machine > Install VMware Tools. For Player 4.x and above, Click on Player > Manage > Install VMware Tools

VMware Tools downloads, in the form of an ISO. VMware Player mounts the ISO and connects it to your virtual machine's CD/DVD drive.

5. Install VMware Tools from the CD-ROM inside of your guest operating system. For more information, see the article that refers to your virtual machine's operating system:

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

bruh... that thats the thing I dont see that anywhere..

Beans

nevermind it works now

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Good to hear it is working for you now.

Please remeber to use the Thread Tools in the upper right to mark this thread as "Solved" so other can find what worked for you.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags