Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: set Ubuntu back to a "recovery point!?

Beans

set Ubuntu back to a "recovery point!?

Hi out there

Iḿ new to Linux world ( and pretty proud that I've setup everything well so far)

Then I tried to install PGP GPG (KGPG and openPGP applet) for private messaging and now my sytem is mis-configured. At least some programs are missing... what else iḿ not sure yet.

I remember from windows that one could set the system back to a point, where it all still worked.

Does this exist for Ubuntu? How can I set back?

Thanks for help and cheers!
    Steve

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: set Ubuntu back to a "recovery point!?

No, Ubuntu is not Windows. There aren't any restore points, unless you make one.

You can reinstall the default set of programs by reinstalling the "ubuntu-desktop" package, which may have been uninstalled.

sudo apt install ubuntu desktop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The equivalent might be "versioned backups".
    Search the forum (advanced search) targeting posts by the user - TheFu - who is an advocate on this subject.
    This will also give you experience in using self learning "advanced search" feature (see top right of this page)

Beans

thanks

Beans

alright, I'll try this. thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by steveson View Post
    Does this exist for Ubuntu?
    As others have said: Linux is not Windows. The closest thing you could have to this, is if you used ZFS as filesystem during installation (it's marked as being an "Experimental feature").
    https://ubuntu.com/blog/zfs-focus-on...-lts-whats-new

If ZFS was used during installation you could basically "go back in time" and boot your whole system like it was at the time a particular system state was saved:
    https://didrocks.fr/2020/05/28/zfs-f...te-management/

If you did not install your system with ZFS then you will need to resolve your issue the old-fashioned way: Get rid of the offending package via "Software" management and also get rid of any configuration files it may have left behind.

"Linux is not Windows" is a good thing too here: There's no "Registry" that can so easily be corrupted and Linux is actually quite easy to repair. The ability to "go back in time" thanks to ZFS is just an added bonus but Linux can do fine without it.

But if this is a feature you really really want then consider choosing ZFS for your next installation?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

And there is also the B-tree file system (btrfs). I experimented with this a few years ago with Ubuntu desktop. It works. We can create a system snapshot and when we are at the Grub boot menu and select Advanced Options for Ubuntu and select a kernel with recovery mode we get a recovery menu that will include an option called apt-snapshot which has its own menu where we can create, revert to, delete-older-than, list-older-than, list-snapshots and take-apt-snapshot. Mind you this was a few years ago. Things might be a bit different now. Things progress.

Keep in mind that this discussion is two years old.

https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/switc...y-default/9783

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Is also LVM snapshots but that isn't a live thing. Would need to restore it, when it's done reboot. I think it would work that way anyway. I've messed with it on vms before. Takes awhile though. Not sure if it qualifies really as a restore point.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Just use Timeshift backup/restore. I always do this when fiddling with my system. Needs a reboot after restore, though.

Beans

Could boot to live CD and make an ISO of the boot disk (I assume that /home is on a different disk and the root file system is a smaller file system)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast