Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LVM setup - files have disappeared

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: LVM setup - files have disappeared

Quote Originally Posted by martinjh99 View Post
    Would you mind elaborating the full plan? I want to copy the files across as herew then add the two other discs in the data vg into the one that ubuntu has been installed in if that will work...
    That's exactly what we are advising you NOT to do.
    Don't put multiple physical volumes in a volume group.
    If you have three disks, you should have a minimum
    of three VGs.
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Thinking about it now I verging on using wipefs to nuke the LVM metadata on both those other disks and just mounting them somewhere and using them that way. I'm thinking using LVM is more trouble than it's worth from what you've said.

Probably the best way I'm imagining.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

LVM is an enterprise-class volume management system. It is very much like the commercial Veritas VM available for almost every platform in the 1990s. LVM is extremely flexible, but it does add complexity and expects an informed admin to setup and make decisions. Those decisions should mainly be to avoid problems, not necessarily what is easiest.

You already have learned some LVM stuff, so I wouldn't throw that away. If you do, perhaps ZFS which is a file system AND volume manager would be of interest? ZFS is crazy different from what you've used already and I don't consider it ready for boot/OS storage yet under Linux. For data storage, ZFS is 100% ready for use.

How did you change the mounts as the mounts I was using were the default ones on original setup.
    Seems an odd question for anyone using LVM and Linux since 2005. I must not understand. Please clarify.

As volkswagner says, make an any changes from a live-boot (try ubuntu) environment and don't forget to update the fstab for the installed/boot version.
    Last edited by TheFu; August 5th, 2021 at 03:08 PM. Reason: s/read/ready/

Reading up on ZFS and Ubuntu and seeing I have 2 identical disks which would be great for a mirrored pool I might go that way instead. At least with a mirror I would be able to have one disc faiilure which I wouldn't get with LVM...

Might create a VM to test playing about with ZFS and see what happens.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

LVM supports mirroring/RAID1. You can change forwards and backwards with LVM between mirrored and not mirrored. lvchange manpage has lots of information about it.

Where ZFS shines is with RAIDz2 ... which is 6 HDDs and hard to add/remove disks into the configuration.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123