Thread: Keyboard randomly stops working

Beans

Keyboard randomly stops working

Hey guys, I am getting increasingly frustrated as time goes by with this problem I am having. My keyboard seemingly randomly stops working. I might be typing code or writing a note or whatever it doesn't seem to happen at any specific time. Does anyone have any ideas about what the problem may be or how I might go about figuring out what the problem is?

I am on Ubuntu 18.04 and I have a wireless keyboard and mouse combo made by logitech the mouse has a label: M310.
    Last edited by vysero; July 30th, 2021 at 04:28 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Keyboard randomly stops working

Hello!

First things first: 16.04 is End Of Life (EOL) and is no longer supported unless you have specifically entered into an extended support agreement of some sort with Canonical. That being the case, it is critical that you install a supported release or keep the machine disconnected from the web.

You need to eliminate hardware failure. Does the keyboard behave this way when used with another machine? Does a different keyboard behave this way when used with this machine?

Again, more important still: Your release of Ubuntu is EOL and it should not be exposed to the web.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Have you replaced the batteries in the keyboard yet? Mine usually just ceases to function when the batteries run down.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Any USB hubs hooked up? They can pull the 5 volt line down and cause the keyboard not to function. Try disconnecting every USB connected peripheral and see what happens.

Beans

I've seen the same thing with a Logitech keyboard and mouse. Two suggestions:

- try to get the keyboard and mouse as near to the nano receiver as possible (use an extension cable if necessary) and line-of-sight
    - USB 3 is known to cause interference on the 2.4GHz band used by these devices [1], so keep any USB3 memory sticks etc away for the nano receiver

If you search "Logitech mouse stuttering", you will see it is a common problem, and not exclusive to Linux.

[1] https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...nce-paper.html
    Last edited by philhughes; July 29th, 2021 at 06:59 PM.

Beans

This is my mistake. I meant to type 18.04. I have corrected this mistake in the original post.

Beans

Tried a different keyboard or different USB port?

Beans

I have recently flipped my computer around s/t the business end (where the usb dongle resides) is facing me. I am hoping this will help.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If that works, you can buy a 2 or 3 foot USB3 cable and return your PC to its proper rotation! The cable will allow you to move the receiver out front.

Beans

It hasn't happened since the flip. I am going to go ahead and assume the cause was the keyboards relative proximity to the dongle. Thanks guys.