Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: no boot linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: no boot linux

Thread moved to Ubuntu/Debian based sub-forum, and [Zorin] prefix added.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

no boot Linux

repost from boot repair URL
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/C328tv76Vp/
    some mentioned this could be graphics related as the screen is black, AMD Raven graphics, the report tells me to make BIOS boot on sda1/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi file, I can access options with esc and BIOS settings, then I don't know what to do ? many thanks to you all..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

@fishingsunrise, your latest post was in the form of a single-post new thread. I've merged it into the thread it belongs to.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fishingsunrise View Post
    hi there TheFu, the system was all working about a week ago then it just went to a black screen, how do I make my BIOS boot on sda1/EFI... I can get into options ok with esc and then go to BIOS with F10, then how do I proceed, thanks for your patience....
    Sorry. I don't know. My Ryzen isn't setup to use UEFI booting, nor does it have an AMD GPU.
    Doesn't UEFI have a tool that allows selection of the boot init file to be used? efi-manager? Something like that?

A google for "ubuntu uefi" should find a lengthy article somewhere under *.ubuntu.com just about UEFI and how it works under Ubuntu. Because it used to work, I'm guessing that something about the most recent kernel update failed. All my systems got new kernels on Saturday, but I didn't see issues related to booting or graphics. My working systems use nvidia GPUs or Intel iGPUs. The only systems I have here with AMD GPUs are from 2010-2012 and neither uses UEFI, sorry.

The top link returned by the search: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    Some EFI boot managers: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EFIBootLoaders
    The ones I've heard about are grub2 and rEFind. The default on Ubuntu has to be grub2.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I am very much no expert in UEFi but for those users who are more knowledgable than me, the terminal output of command
    Code:
    efibootmgr -v
    might be extremely helpful so copy back the output you get back here.
    Please use Code-Tags for terminal output as it makes that output much more easily read and understood, formatting the text as seen in terminal, not as plain text when it is copied and pasted. See my signature below for a How-to

Beans

Code:
    zorin@zorin:~$ efibootmgr -v
    BootCurrent: 0001
    Timeout: 0 seconds
    BootOrder: 0000,2002,3000,2001,2004
    Boot0000* ubuntu    HD(1,GPT,ad3fec2f-998f-42a0-a48b-be289081c320,0x800,0x100000)/File(\EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi)
    Boot0001* USB Hard Drive (UEFI) - SanDisk (SanDisk)    PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x8,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x3)/USB(4,0)/HD(1,MBR,0x5ccbc8ad,0x1d0,0x1d00)RC
    Boot2001* EFI USB Device    RC
    Boot2002* EFI DVD/CDROM    RC
    Boot3000* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk    RC
    zorin@zorin:~$
    efibootmgr -v returned the above into the terminal window
    Last edited by ajgreeny; July 30th, 2021 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Code tags added

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

That output shows that you are at present, of course, running from a live system of zorin running from a USB.

It may also help us to see exactly what hardware you have so again from a live system run command inxi -Fzx and copy back the output you get.
    Please use code tags this time for terminal output; as I mentioned last time, it makes it much easier to read and understand that output.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12