Thread: Install driver for Tp-link AC600 USB wifi adapter

Beans

Post Install driver for Tp-link AC600 USB wifi adapter

Hi,

I'm new to Ubuntu. Im using 20.04 LTS. I have a TP-link AC600 usb wifi adapter that works seamlessly in Windows. But with Ubuntu, it seems additional steps are needed. can anyone please guide which is the driver that works effectively with this adapter and what is teh installation procedure?

I saw steps on few forums and tried them, it worked for sometime and now stopped working after what looks like a kernel update.

$ lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 004: ID 2357:0120 TP-Link 802.11ac WLAN Adapter

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Install driver for Tp-link AC600 USB wifi adapter

You have to reinstall external drivers after each kernel update, and since you've done it succesfully, I am not sure what guidence is required.

Beans

Did you go to System Settings > Driver Manager and see if it can find the drivers? When installed via the Manager, the driver should be automatically updated along with the kernel.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

But its not working effectively, gets disconnected or shows low speed time to time. Firstly, where can I find the driver that works most effectively with this device? The one I tried is from https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au.git

Beans

System Settings > Driver Manager

I dont see this option. How do I check in Ubuntu.

Beans

https://itsfoss.com/install-additional-drivers-ubuntu/

Looks like it's harder on vanilla Ubuntu, but I may be wrong since I never use it.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; July 30th, 2021 at 05:48 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What you referred to got moved in 20.04 from Settings to a tab called "additional drivers" in Software & Updates (not to be confused with the "Software Updates" app. LOL)

Here you go : https://askubuntu.com/questions/1149...r-ubuntu-18-04

That one (in that answer there) is maintained and does rebuild when the kernel updates through DKMS... Ensure that DKMS is installed so that can happen.
    This driver can be installed using [DKMS]. This is a system which will automatically recompile and install a kernel module when a new kernel gets installed or updated. To make use of DKMS, install the dkms package...
    https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au

That is what you originally built from, but... There "were changes" to the original there and the release notes say that should be re-pulled and recompiled to include those changes...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; July 30th, 2021 at 11:46 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags