Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An intermittent problem that disables wifi card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

An intermittent problem that disables wifi card

Hi:
    This is a problem that has been occurring for some time now. For some inexplicable reason, the computer disconnects from my local wifi and looses Internet connectivity. This behavior is erratic. Some times it occurs two or three times on the same day, But other times, two or three days may pass without experiencing the problem. I discounted the possibility of a defective wifi card because my machine works Ok when running on Mac OS. To restore the computer to normal operation, I have to do a restart. If I reset the wifi card instead, the computer freezes and need to do a cold boot. Following, is the information I've gathered from my system that I hope should help to find out what the problem is.

Information about my networking hardware:

Code:
    williepabon@williepabon-Macmini:~$ sudo lshw -C network
    [sudo] password for williepabon: 
      *-network                 
           description: Ethernet interface
           product: NetXtreme BCM57766 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
           vendor: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
           logical name: enp1s0f0
           version: 01
           serial: 10:dd:b1:99:74:4b
           capacity: 1Gbit/s
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm vpd msi msix pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
           configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=tg3 driverversion=3.137 firmware=57766a-v1.13 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
           resources: irq:16 memory:a0400000-a040ffff memory:a0410000-a041ffff
      *-network
           description: Wireless interface
           product: BCM4331 802.11a/b/g/n
           vendor: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
           logical name: wlp2s0
           version: 02
           serial: 88:53:95:30:a8:bb
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=wl0 driverversion=6.30.223.271 (r587334) ip=192.168.1.192 latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
           resources: irq:17 memory:a0600000-a0603fff
    When the machine is operating normally and connected to the Internet:

Code:
    williepabon@williepabon-Macmini:~$ nmcli general
    STATE      CONNECTIVITY  WIFI-HW  WIFI     WWAN-HW  WWAN    
    connected  full          enabled  enabled  enabled  enabled 

williepabon@williepabon-Macmini:~$ nmcli dev status
    DEVICE             TYPE      STATE         CONNECTION 
    wlp2s0             wifi      connected     BeckyNet   
    60:B7:6E:11:DA:72  bt        disconnected  --         
    enp1s0f0           ethernet  unavailable   --         
    lo                 loopback  unmanaged     --         
    williepabon@williepabon-Macmini:~$ 

williepabon@williepabon-Macmini:~$ nmcli dev wifi list
    IN-USE  BSSID              SSID                        MODE   CHAN  RATE        SIGNAL  BARS  SECURITY 
            32:C9:AB:96:E9:C8  DIRECT-MAHL-L2350DW_BRe9c8  Infra  6     65 Mbit/s   87      ▂▄▆█  WPA2     
    *       76:69:42:8C:87:B0  BeckyNet                    Infra  44    540 Mbit/s  82      ▂▄▆█  WPA2     
            10:0C:6B:39:EF:7F  SarmientoFamily_2GEXT       Infra  1     270 Mbit/s  30      ▂___  WPA2     
            F0:72:EA:54:0D:E2  Sarmientofamily2            Infra  1     130 Mbit/s  29      ▂___  WPA2     
            B0:E4:D5:59:57:2F  Sarmientofamily2            Infra  11    130 Mbit/s  20      ▂___  WPA2     
            16:91:7F:89:C4:4A  SarmientoFamily             Infra  1     540 Mbit/s  17      ▂___  WPA2
    When wifi connectivity is lost:

Code:
    williepabon@williepabon-Macmini:~$ nmcli general
    STATE                  CONNECTIVITY  WIFI-HW  WIFI     WWAN-HW  WWAN    
    connected (site only)  limited       enabled  enabled  enabled  enabled 

williepabon@williepabon-Macmini:~$ nmcli dev status
    DEVICE             TYPE      STATE         CONNECTION 
    wlp2s0             wifi      connected     BeckyNet   
    60:B7:6E:11:DA:72  bt        disconnected  --         
    enp1s0f0           ethernet  unavailable   --         
    lo                 loopback  unmanaged     --         

williepabon@williepabon-Macmini:~$ nmcli dev wifi list
    IN-USE  BSSID              SSID      MODE   CHAN  RATE        SIGNAL  BARS  SECURITY 
    *       76:69:42:8C:87:B0  BeckyNet  Infra  44    540 Mbit/s  85      ▂▄▆█  WPA2
    Thank you in advance to any advice/suggestions that may help to solve this problem. If further information about my system is required, please, let me know. Thanks.
    Last edited by williepabon; July 30th, 2021 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Missing prefix
    Mac mini 16 Gig ram: Intel Core i7-3720QM CPU @ 2.60 Ghz x8; OS; OS X 10.15.3 Catalina, Dual boot with Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS(Focal Fossa 64bit)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: An intermittent problem that disables wifi card

Check the power-saving settings for the system and for the wifi adapter.
    iwconfig is one command to control those settings. To disable power management, this command:
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlp2s0 power off
    sudo iwconfig wlp2s0 commit
    should work.

The manpage section for iwconfig:
    Code:
           power  Used to manipulate power management scheme parameters and mode.
                  To set the period between wake ups, enter period  `value'.   To
                  set  the  timeout  before  going  back  to sleep, enter timeout
                  `value'.  To set the generic level of power saving, enter  sav‐
                  ing  `value'.   You  can also add the min and max modifiers. By
                  default, those values are in seconds, append the suffix m or  u
                  to  specify  values in milliseconds or microseconds. Sometimes,
                  those values are  without  units  (number  of  beacon  periods,
                  dwell, percentage or similar).
                  off  and on disable and reenable power management. Finally, you
                  may set the power management mode to all (receive all packets),
                  unicast  (receive  unicast  packets only, discard multicast and
                  broadcast) and multicast (receive multicast and broadcast only,
                  discard unicast packets).
    May need to disable/re-enable the entire card after changing settings according to the manpage. Different cards work differently.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Exclamation Re: An intermittent problem that disables wifi card

TheFu:

Thanks for answering. For your info, following is my current configuration.
    Code:
    williepabon@williepabon-Macmini:~$ sudo iwconfig wlp2s0
    wlp2s0    IEEE 802.11  ESSID:"BeckyNet"  
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:5.22 GHz  Access Point: 76:69:42:8C:87:B0   
              Bit Rate=450 Mb/s   Tx-Power=200 dBm   
              Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:on
              Link Quality=61/70  Signal level=-49 dBm  
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
    I'm going to implement your recommendations and will let you know if they solve my problem. Thanks again.
    Mac mini 16 Gig ram: Intel Core i7-3720QM CPU @ 2.60 Ghz x8; OS; OS X 10.15.3 Catalina, Dual boot with Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS(Focal Fossa 64bit)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

TheFu:

I ran the commands as per your suggestion and it worked ok as shown:
    Code:
    williepabon@williepabon-Macmini:~$ sudo iwconfig wlp2s0
    wlp2s0    IEEE 802.11  ESSID:"BeckyNet"  
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:5.22 GHz  Access Point: 76:69:42:8C:87:B0   
              Bit Rate=450 Mb/s   Tx-Power=200 dBm   
              Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality=59/70  Signal level=-51 dBm  
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
    My problem now is that after I reboot the computer the Power management reverts back to on. How do I make the change permanent? Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Until you leave this setup this way a few days and it actually is proven to fix the issue, I wouldn't.
    I don't use wifi much. It is never to be trusted - both performance and security. That includes wifi-6, the newest standard has security issues that have been known over a year.

I would setup the netplan.yaml file with the settings, but it is unlikely that you are using that to manage connections. On pre-netplan systems, there was a pre-up option in the "interfaces" file.
    Google found these answers: https://askubuntu.com/questions/8521...eing-turned-on

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

TheFu:

Thanks for the advice. I will turn Power Manager setting off with the iwconfig command every morning for two or three days to see if the problem actually disappears. Then, I would do the changes on the /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf file to make it permanent. Thamks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

TheFu:

I started this afternoon doing my test with Power Manager settings to Off, but unfortunately, the problem came up again. Some other thing is causing this fail. I wish there should be a way to monitor the machine in such a way to capture the instant of the failure. Maybe the logs could tell us what would be causing this issue. Any ways, I appreciate any other advice you may provide. Thanks.

Beans

Try rebooting your router as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Moved to Networking and Wireless.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

ActionParsnip:

Thanks for your suggestion, but no, that didn't solve my problem, either. On the other hand, none of the other machines in my network experiences the problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast