Thread: An intermittent problem that disables wifi card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: An intermittent problem that disables wifi card

Let's see if the log has any clues:

Code:
    sudo dmesg | grep -ie brcm -e wl
    I am running a bit low on ideas, for sure.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

chili555:

It took me some time to answer your last post, because something happened in the last few days that forced me to double check the validity of my problem. And yes, my problem still exists. Following is what happened that didn't make sense to me. Probably, you may have better understanding of this.

The wifi router in my house is installed in the second floor, 'cause most of the stuff my family use that require strong wifi signal (and bandwidth) is there. A couple of days ago, I installed a range extender (tp-link RE450) to cover for the low signal areas on the first floor. My computer is no farther than 25 feet from the router, but maybe out of frustration with my problem or curiosity, I connected to the internet through the range extender which is located like 60 feet downstairs. I got dumbfounded!. I had a nice, consistent signal (lower speed, though) that did not get disconnected from the Internet no matter what I did. That didn't make sense to me. When I connect directly the the router (that is closer) I have intermittent connection, but when I connect through the range extender I get a solid connection. Following, I show my present network configuration, for you to analyze.

Code:
    williepabon@williepabon-Macmini:~$ nmcli dev wifi list
    IN-USE  BSSID              SSID                        MODE   CHAN  RATE        SIGNAL  BARS  SECURITY 
            76:69:42:8C:87:AF  BeckyNet                    Infra  6     540 Mbit/s  90      ▂▄▆█  WPA2     
            32:C9:AB:96:E9:C8  DIRECT-MAHL-L2350DW_BRe9c8  Infra  6     65 Mbit/s   84      ▂▄▆█  WPA2     
    *       90:9A:4A:4A:5E:BE  BeckyNet_Ex24               Infra  6     195 Mbit/s  80      ▂▄▆_  WPA2     
            76:69:42:8C:87:B0  BeckyNet                    Infra  44    540 Mbit/s  77      ▂▄▆_  WPA2     
            90:9A:4A:4A:5E:BF  BeckyNet_Ex52               Infra  44    405 Mbit/s  67      ▂▄▆_  WPA2     
            DE:54:D7:67:64:E1  --                          Infra  44    130 Mbit/s  49      ▂▄__  WPA2     
            F0:72:EA:54:0D:E2  Sarmientofamily2            Infra  1     130 Mbit/s  34      ▂▄__  WPA2     
            B0:E4:D5:59:57:2F  Sarmientofamily2            Infra  1     130 Mbit/s  19      ▂___  WPA2     
    williepabon@williepabon-Macmini:~$
    The BeckyNet and subsidiaries represent my internal home network. The_Ex24 and _Ex52 are the signals from the range extender. I hope that this information will help to better understand (or confuse?) the problem that I experience. Thanks again for all your help.
    wp
    Mac mini 16 Gig ram: Intel Core i7-3720QM CPU @ 2.60 Ghz x8; OS; OS X 10.15.3 Catalina, Dual boot with Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS(Focal Fossa 64bit)

Beans
    Distro

The answer is, to me, fairly evident. Above, I suggested:

Your wireless may be dropping because there are two wireless access points with the same name and password. This is typical when you have a 2.4 gHz segment and a 5 gHz segment of the same router. Your wireless may be roaming, looking for a better connection. If this is the case, I suggest that you rename the access points; something like BeckyNet2.4 and BeckyNet5.
    You are not able to do this because the router is supplied by your ISP with limited options to make any changes. Afterwards, as suspected, your connection hops between the 2.4 and 5 gHz bands despite, evidently, binding to the 5 gHz band via its MAC address.

However, your extender is provided by you and offers the ability to rename the segments as you’ve wisely done.

Code:
    *       90:9A:4A:4A:5E:BE  BeckyNet_Ex24               Infra  6     195 Mbit/s  80      ▂▄▆_  WPA2     
            90:9A:4A:4A:5E:BF  BeckyNet_Ex52               Infra  44    405 Mbit/s  67      ▂▄▆_  WPA2
    Without a forensic examination of the logs in your computer AND the original BeckyNet router to prove otherwise, I can only conclude that your Ubuntu computer is connected to the 2.4 gHz segment of your extender and will remain until otherwise instructed by you.

I might have tried my own router, which I could configure as needed, rather than the extender. That’s what I do and it works beautifully. The wireless in my ISP-provided device is turned off.

Internet--->AT&T Uverse box--->Chili's TP-Link router )))))) wireless to laptops, pads, phones, etc.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

chili555:

Thanks for your answer. The mystery is solved. Now, as you suggest, I need to do the forensic examination of my logs (which I don't know how to find and reproduce), and with the findings I obtain with the logs, I will request Spectrum to reconfigure my router according to my findings. Thanks again.
    wp
    Mac mini 16 Gig ram: Intel Core i7-3720QM CPU @ 2.60 Ghz x8; OS; OS X 10.15.3 Catalina, Dual boot with Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS(Focal Fossa 64bit)

Beans
    Distro

I need to do the forensic examination of my logs (which I don't know how to find and reproduce),
    As to your router, I haven't any clue. As to your computer, I suggest looking at:

Code:
    sudo dmesg | grep wl
    ...where 'wl' will get both the interface wlp2s0 and the driver wl.

I'd also see what Network Manager is doing:

Code:
    sudo cat /var/log/syslog | grep Network
    They may be lengthy and a bit tedious to decipher, but I think you will see the interface hopping between segments at BeckyNet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123