Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to enter BIOS on a mini PC with AMD processor?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to enter BIOS on a mini PC with AMD processor?

Wow, that's quite a story. Sorry I seem to have missed some important points in your previous posts so you had to re-type it ...
    From as far as I understand your situation to me it looks more like someone just grabbed some parts of the shelf, stuck them together in a way to fit your order and somehow installed the requested OS (although strange it was such an old version).
    As for the in-place upgrade: Well, from my personal experience Linux based OSs seem to handle it quite well if one go the long incremental route. So, upgrading from a 19.04 or 19.10 should to 20.04 LTS should had been fine - I'm curious what happens these random hang ups. Could be some software issue causing "random" stuff due to multi-core execution in a not-so-predictable order - but also could be some hardware limitations. Hopefully you not get a somewhat-defective unit.
    About try to enter the uefi/bios: Funny enough that's still something not officially standardized yet (at least to my knowledge) - so enter the system firmware can be done in a variety of ways. Many board manufactures seem to have agreed upon to at least support DEL as one of the hotkeys - at it was the most used back in the AT era before modern ATX took over. But it can also be pretty much anything ranging from more familiar keys like the F1-F12 keys (often F1 or F2 or anything F8-F12) to some weird key-combinations with any of the modifiers (ALT, CTRL, SHIFT). ESC to enter the firmware is rather untypical and is often used to get from the graphical logo to a more traditional text base boot screen (also TAB is sometimes used for that). It could also be not be able to be done from a keyboard but maybe require some hardware switch hidden in the box on the board itself.
    But I agree with you - the staff should know how to access the bios or uefi firmware of a device they sold to you. Also: Not including some default password for a OS that requires a password (to my knowledge it's only possible to set up auto-logon - but not to remove the password entirely as on windows) is ... well, let's just say: Someone seem to had a bad day.

From what I get is you seem to get at least from the initial power up to the bootloader which then in turn at least tries to boot the OS. So, yea, open the case and taking out the storage (if not soldered) should at least confuse the system to no longer be able to boot which should give you some way to access the firmware. There's also a chance that it could be hard to detach the cmos-battery. Guessing from pictures I was able to find on the net by searching for what you have given us in your initial post suggest it's not a socketed one but should just hanging in their loosely with the wires terminated into a two-pin connector. Just detaching it for a few seconds should be enough to clear out the cmos which then should result in the system to halt on a cold boot with some text like "blah blah blah press <some key> to enter setup". Although not ideal as you have to deal with re-setting all the settings correctly (which may require some tries) it should be at least some almost guaranteed way to get a force-prompt.

It's always hard to analyze from far away. Just as an example I have a PC-Engines APU2 for some years now (can't remember the correct model - there'Re already at least one or maybe even two newer generations of it) - and it uses coreboot as its bios/uefi. To enter it's rather small set of settings I have to connect via serial and catch it right when I plug in the power. Luckly I only need to do that stunt if I have to change some very basic firmware setting. For anything else there'Re plenty of small tools available for the distro I run on it. So, yea, I know how it can steal a whole week of tinkering around and not getting any progress.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you can boot the Ubuntu live installer (or any current flavor), run this:
    Lets see details, use ppa version with your live installer (2nd option) or any working install, not Boot-Repair ISO:
    Please copy & paste the pastebin link to the Boot-info summary report ( do not post report), do not run the auto fix till reviewed.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair &
    https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/

Since UEFI system, be sure to boot in UEFI mode. Of if live installer created by Rufus, be sure to create installer in UEFI/gpt mode.

Lots of info on USB boot for installing
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/iso2usb &
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

Shows live installer with screen shots. Both BIOS purple accessibility screen & UEFI black grub menu screen 20.10 uses grub for both
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Many of us like different flavors of Ubuntu. Best to just try with live installer.
    https://ubuntu.com/download/flavours
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Is anybody out there??? I mean right at this very minute because I am FINALLY running 20.04 on a live session from a USB drive and have no SSD or backup battery (both disconnected for testing purposes).

Is there anything that I can try in the Terminal to ensure being able to boot back up once I have reinstalled the SSD and reconnected the CMOS battery?

I want to know if I can hook the SSD back up while the PC is powered on?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Last edited by tahitiwibble; August 1st, 2021 at 03:31 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Okay... I read your PM request for help and have read through this... for clarity... You did get 19.10 up and running, then did a release upgrade to 20.04... And then was having problems from there after the reboot?

While waiting for an answer, looking through the links of what you are running.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Correct, nothing worked correctly after reboot. After being given the correct password by the vendor 19.10 functioned without a hitch ....... only after upgrading to 20.04 did everything erratically freeze up

Having Googled being able to reconnect an internal SSD, or not, I find that answer to be a resounding NO! I risk losing the mother board.

Right now the only componants that are powered up are the motherboard, the live USB drive and the wifi card ........... neither 512gb SSD nor CMOS backup battery connected.
    Last edited by tahitiwibble; August 1st, 2021 at 03:57 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Why are those now powered on? Because you couldn't get into the BIOS on the board unless they were disconnected? (I just breezed over the posts...)

Not sure what that would gain you if you needed to correct your install...

Let me back up a bit with where you are now... You said you installed ___ now many versions. Since you have, how sentimental are you with what is there currently? Can you now get into the BIOS when powering up? You've done a few things, so are not totally in the dark now right?

I can see that PC came from China and has no documentation. LOL
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; August 1st, 2021 at 04:11 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Why are those now powered on? Because you couldn't get into the BIOS on the board unless they were disconnected? (I just breezed over the posts...)

Not sure what that would gain you if you needed to correct your install...

Let me back up a bit with where you are now... You said you installed ___ now many versions. Since you have, how sentimental are you with what is there currently? Can you now get into the BIOS when powering up? You've done a few things, so are not totally in the dark now right?

EDIT: I went back and read. TeaForOne asked you to do that to boot to the USB and enter a command that might have forced it to boot to the UEFI BIOS. Did It? Someone else asked you to disconnect the CMOS Battery to clear the Settings to default, like a Password...
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; August 1st, 2021 at 04:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    I'm using the PC at the moment, that's why I say they are the only things powered up. With the backup battery and the internal SSD connected the machine tries to boot up into 20.04 and freezes like yesterday. I have never been able to get into the BIOS yet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

EDITTED. Saw your post, and you still cannot get into your UEFI BIOS... Didn't they tell you that it was the <DEL> key and gave you the password?

Does it boot to the USB before the SSD? I'm assuming so, because it first came with Windows and you installed Ubuntu 19.10, right?
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; August 1st, 2021 at 04:24 AM.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast